Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge conjugation in Dirac equation

1. Nov 5, 2012 #1
    I need to know the mathematical argument that how the relation is true $(C^{-1})^T\gamma ^ \mu C^T = - \gamma ^{\mu T} $ .
    Where $C$ is defined by $U=C \gamma^0$ ; $U$= non singular matrix and $T$= transposition.

I need to know the significance of these equation in charge conjuration .

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2012 #2

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

Start with the Dirac equation
    [tex]( i \gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu} + e \gamma^{\mu}A_{\mu} - m) \psi = 0[/tex]
    Now take the complex conjugate of that and multiply from the left by some non-singular matrix [itex]\mathcal{C}[/itex], you then can write
    [tex][(i \partial_{\mu} - e A_{\mu})\ \mathcal{C}\ (\gamma^{\mu})^{*} \mathcal{C}^{-1} + m ] \ \mathcal{C}\psi = 0[/tex]
    Thus, if
    [tex]\mathcal{C}\ (\gamma^{\mu})^{*} \mathcal{C}^{-1} = - \gamma^{\mu},[/tex]
    then the field
    [tex]\psi_{c}\equiv \mathcal{C}\psi[/tex]
    describes another Dirac particle with opposite charge.
    Now, if you write
    [tex]\mathcal{C} = C \gamma^{0}[/tex]
    then your relation follows in the representation where
    [tex]\gamma^{0} = ( \gamma^{0})^{T} = ( \gamma^{0})^{-1}.[/tex]

Sam

4. Nov 7, 2012 #3
    One can see sakurai 'advanced quantum mechanics' for an elegant derivation which describes the relationship between charge conjugated wave function and original one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook