1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge Density Function to Solve Poisson Eq.

1. Mar 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is not really a homework just studying but I'm kinda stuck.

So I am trying to find out how to formally write down the Charge Density for any distribution.

Although I will not get into Green's Function or how to find V, I got that fine.

My example will be a Rod of uniformly distributed charge (total Q) inside a grounded sphere.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]-\nabla^{2}V(\vec{r}) = \frac{\rho(\vec{r})}{\epsilon_{0}}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Note: In the below equations w = cosθ for simplicity.
    So trying to write down the charge density for a Rod of Charge;

[itex]\rho(\vec{r}) = A(r) U(R-r) (δ(w-1)+δ(w+1))[/itex]

[itex]Q = \int^{\infty}_{0}r^{2}A(r)dr\;U(R-r)\;(1+1)\;2\pi[/itex]

[itex]\frac{Q}{4\pi\;} = \int^{R}_{0}r^{2}A(r)dr[/itex]

So now I can take the integral if I assume A(r) to be a constant in r, or I can say it is proportial to 1/r, or I can say it is proportional to [itex]1/r^{2}[/itex] all of which will give me an answer which is dimensionally correct.

Although only when I say A(r) is a function of [itex]1/r^{2}[/itex] I get the right answer for V after I go thru the Green's Function process.

Which is;
    [itex]V_{in}(r,w) = \frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}R}[ln(\frac{r}{R})+\sum^{\infty}_{\ell=2 (Even)}\frac{(2\ell+1)}{\ell(\ell+1)}(1-(\frac{r}{R})^{\ell})P_{\ell}(w)][/itex]

Note that this confusion does not arise when one has a dirac delta in r because it doesn't really matter, the delta will kill all r when we are taking the Green's Function integral anyway - so the answer to the question does not change. It only arises when one has a Step Function.

As another example for comparison, a very similar situation arises for an Annulus of Charge with radii a and b.

[itex]\rho(\vec{r}) = A(r) U(b-r) U(r-a) δ(w)[/itex]

[itex]Q = \int^{\infty}_{0}r^{2}A(r)dr\;U(b-r) U(r-a)\;2\pi[/itex]

[itex]\frac{Q}{2\pi\;} = \int^{b}_{a}r^{2}A(r)dr[/itex]

Now in the notes of our instructor this charge density is given as:
    [itex]\rho(\vec{r}) = \frac{Q}{\pi(b^{2}-a^{2})r}\;U(b-r) U(r-a) δ(w)[/itex]

So although this looked almost exactly the same while trying to find A(r), here I can see that A(r) is a function of 1/r, but in the case of the rod it was [itex]1/r^{2}[/itex].

So in the end my question is, how do I know what A(r) should be in terms of r dependance?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted