Charge Density Function to Solve Poisson Eq.

In summary, the conversation discusses how to formally write down the charge density for any distribution, specifically for a Rod of uniformly distributed charge inside a grounded sphere and an Annulus of Charge with radii a and b. The conversation also addresses the confusion that arises when trying to determine the appropriate r dependence for the function A(r). Ultimately, the question is how to know which r dependence to choose for A(r).
sarperb

Homework Statement

This is not really a homework just studying but I'm kinda stuck.

So I am trying to find out how to formally write down the Charge Density for any distribution.

Although I will not get into Green's Function or how to find V, I got that fine.

My example will be a Rod of uniformly distributed charge (total Q) inside a grounded sphere.

Homework Equations

[itex]-\nabla^{2}V(\vec{r}) = \frac{\rho(\vec{r})}{\epsilon_{0}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Note: In the below equations w = cosθ for simplicity.
So trying to write down the charge density for a Rod of Charge;

[itex]\rho(\vec{r}) = A(r) U(R-r) (δ(w-1)+δ(w+1))[/itex]

[itex]Q = \int^{\infty}_{0}r^{2}A(r)dr\;U(R-r)\;(1+1)\;2\pi[/itex]

[itex]\frac{Q}{4\pi\;} = \int^{R}_{0}r^{2}A(r)dr[/itex]

So now I can take the integral if I assume A(r) to be a constant in r, or I can say it is proportial to 1/r, or I can say it is proportional to [itex]1/r^{2}[/itex] all of which will give me an answer which is dimensionally correct.

Although only when I say A(r) is a function of [itex]1/r^{2}[/itex] I get the right answer for V after I go thru the Green's Function process.

Which is;
[itex]V_{in}(r,w) = \frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}R}[ln(\frac{r}{R})+\sum^{\infty}_{\ell=2 (Even)}\frac{(2\ell+1)}{\ell(\ell+1)}(1-(\frac{r}{R})^{\ell})P_{\ell}(w)][/itex]

Note that this confusion does not arise when one has a dirac delta in r because it doesn't really matter, the delta will kill all r when we are taking the Green's Function integral anyway - so the answer to the question does not change. It only arises when one has a Step Function.

As another example for comparison, a very similar situation arises for an Annulus of Charge with radii a and b.

[itex]\rho(\vec{r}) = A(r) U(b-r) U(r-a) δ(w)[/itex]

[itex]Q = \int^{\infty}_{0}r^{2}A(r)dr\;U(b-r) U(r-a)\;2\pi[/itex]

[itex]\frac{Q}{2\pi\;} = \int^{b}_{a}r^{2}A(r)dr[/itex]

Now in the notes of our instructor this charge density is given as:
[itex]\rho(\vec{r}) = \frac{Q}{\pi(b^{2}-a^{2})r}\;U(b-r) U(r-a) δ(w)[/itex]

So although this looked almost exactly the same while trying to find A(r), here I can see that A(r) is a function of 1/r, but in the case of the rod it was [itex]1/r^{2}[/itex].So in the end my question is, how do I know what A(r) should be in terms of r dependance?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Because in the Rod case it is 1/r^{2} and in the Annulus case it is 1/r. I know we can assume A(r) to be a constant, or a function of 1/r, or 1/r^2. But how do I know which one to choose? Thank you for any help!

1. What is a charge density function?

A charge density function is a mathematical description of the distribution of electric charge in a given region of space. It assigns a value of charge per unit volume to each point in the region.

2. How is the charge density function used to solve the Poisson equation?

The Poisson equation relates the electric potential to the charge density and is used to model the behavior of electric fields. By using the charge density function as an input for the Poisson equation, the resulting solution can be used to determine the electric potential at any point in the region.

3. What is the significance of solving the Poisson equation using a charge density function?

Solving the Poisson equation using a charge density function allows us to understand the behavior of electric fields in a given region, which has many practical applications such as in electronic devices and power systems. It also helps us to better understand the fundamental laws of electromagnetism.

4. What are some key considerations when using a charge density function to solve the Poisson equation?

It is important to accurately define the charge density function and properly set the boundary conditions for the region being studied. Additionally, numerical methods or analytical techniques may be used to solve the resulting equation, and the appropriate method should be chosen based on the specific problem at hand.

5. Are there any limitations to using a charge density function to solve the Poisson equation?

While the Poisson equation is a powerful tool for understanding electric fields, it is a simplification of the more complex Maxwell's equations. Therefore, the use of a charge density function to solve the Poisson equation may not always accurately capture all aspects of the electric field behavior in a given region. Additionally, the accuracy of the solution may be affected by the chosen numerical or analytical method used to solve the equation.