1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge distribution in a conductor (using maxwell's equations)

1. Mar 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that any charge distribution in a conductor of conductivity σ and relative
    permittivity κ vanishes in time as ρ = ρ0exp(−t/ζ) where ζ = κǫ0
    σ

2. Relevant equations
    Maxwell's equation
    ∇ · D = ρfree

equation of continuity for a free charge density
    ∇ · Jfree = −∂(ρfree)/∂t

ohms law
    J = σE

3. The attempt at a solution

I can see that ρ will get smaller and smaller as time 't' increases according to
    ρ = ρ0exp(−t/ζ) and clearly some sort of substitution is required of the equations but I can't see how substitution will result in a exponential appearing. Basically I don't know where to start so any help would be appreciated or a push in the right direction.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try expressing J in terms of D then combine your two maxwell's equation into a single DE for [itex]\rho[/itex]

4. Mar 8, 2009 #3
    I could sub the first eq into the second to get the divergence of current density equals the negative differential of the divergence of the electric displacement field, or

∇ · Jfree = −∂(∇ · D)/∂t

Can Jfree and total J be considered to be the same thing in this example? Also I will lose ρ if i do this.

5. Mar 8, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is there ever any bound current in a conductor? If not, then Jfree and J are the same right?

And you don't want to combine the equations in that manner....start with expressing D in terms of E.... there should be an equation for that

6. Mar 8, 2009 #5
    Okay so Jfree=J. also D=εE so E=D/ε
    and therefore J=σD/ε

edit:
    so

∇ · σD/ε = −∂(ρfree)/∂t
    or
    (∇σ/ε)· D + (σ/ε)(ρfree) = −∂(ρfree)/∂t

Doesn't feel like im getting anyhere

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  7. Mar 8, 2009 #6
    Not sure if your allowed to bump threads on this forum...o:)

8. Mar 8, 2009 #7

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

σ/ε is a constant, so (∇σ/ε)=0 and therefor (σ/ε)(ρfree) = −∂(ρfree)/∂t

Also, is ρfree a function of any other variables besides time, inside a conductor?....if not, then−∂(ρfree)/∂t=−d(ρfree)/dt and you have a seperable ordinary differential equation for ρfree.

9. Mar 8, 2009 #8
    aha. I get it, Thanks alot thats brilliant. Don't think I would have ever got that on my own:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook