Charged balls connected by spring

In summary, two small balls with charges +q and -q are connected by a spring with spring constant k. A homogeneous electric field E has been turned on, which is collinear with the line that connects the charges. To find the amount the string will stretch, we can use Coulomb's Law and Hooke's Law, with the force due to the electric field given by F=qE. However, it is important to take into account the direction of the forces and make a drawing to accurately represent the system.
yango_17

Homework Statement

Consider two small balls with charges +q and -q, connected by a spring with spring constant k. A homogeneous electric field E has been turned on. E is collinear with the line that connects -q to +q. By how much will the string stretch?

Homework Equations

Coulomb's Law
Hooke's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that we could use F=-kx and substitute Coulomb's Law in for F. Doing this and solving for x, I obtained (1/(-4πεk))(q^2/r^2), where ε is the permittivity constant and k is the spring constant. Was this the correct way to approach this problem? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
yango_17 said:

Homework Statement

Consider two small balls with charges +q and -q, connected by a spring with spring constant k. A homogeneous electric field E has been turned on. E is collinear with the line that connects -q to +q. By how much will the string stretch?

Homework Equations

Coulomb's Law
Hooke's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that we could use F=-kx and substitute Coulomb's Law in for F. Doing this and solving for x, I obtained (1/(-4πεk))(q^2/r^2), where ε is the permittivity constant and k is the spring constant. Was this the correct way to approach this problem? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

I do not see that you took the applied electric field E into account.

How would one go about doing that? I know that F=qE, so that's how I figure the electric field could be taken into account, but I'm not sure how to go about representing that mathematically. Wouldn't it look very similar to Coulomb's Law?

yango_17 said:
How would one go about doing that? I know that F=qE, so that's how I figure the electric field could be taken into account, but I'm not sure how to go about representing that mathematically. Wouldn't it look very similar to Coulomb's Law?
No, E is homogeneous, it does not depend on the position of the charges.The force due to E on charge q is F=qE.
Draw the FBD at the positive charge. What forces act on it?

The forces acting on the ball would be the coulomb force and the homogeneous electric field. So, you'd represent the force on the left side of the equation as (coulomb force)+qE?

yango_17 said:
The forces acting on the ball would be the coulomb force and the homogeneous electric field. So, you'd represent the force on the left side of the equation as (coulomb force)+qE?
Left side of what equation?? Yes, and you have the spring force, too.

the left side of Hooke's law, ##F=-kx##.

OK, then write out in detail. The relaxed length of the spring was not given?

He told us to assume initial length as ##l_{0}##. So, therefore, I'm thinking we can represent this system as ##\frac{1}{-4\pi\varepsilon _{0}} \frac{q^{2}}{r^{2}}+\mathbf{E}=-kx##. Does this seem reasonable?

Could x be replaced by ##(l_{0}-r)##?

It would be useful to make a drawing, and show the direction of the forces.
I do not know, what you call x and what direction you assumed for E.

Related to Charged balls connected by spring

1. What is the concept of charged balls connected by spring?

The concept of charged balls connected by spring is an arrangement where two or more charged particles are connected by a spring, creating a system that exhibits oscillatory behavior due to the electric forces between the particles and the restoring force of the spring.

2. What is the significance of charged balls connected by spring in physics?

Charged balls connected by spring is a common example used in physics to study the dynamics of electrically charged systems. It helps in understanding the principles of oscillatory motion, electric forces, and potential energy. It also has practical applications in fields such as electromagnetics and electronics.

3. How do the charges and the spring constant affect the behavior of charged balls connected by spring?

The behavior of charged balls connected by spring is affected by the magnitude of the charges and the spring constant. Higher charges result in stronger electric forces between the particles, leading to larger oscillations. Similarly, a higher spring constant results in a stiffer spring, which leads to faster oscillations and shorter periods.

4. Can the system of charged balls connected by spring reach equilibrium?

Yes, the system of charged balls connected by spring can reach equilibrium. When the charges and the spring forces reach a balance, the system will come to rest and reach a state of equilibrium. This state can be achieved through adjustments in the charges or the spring constant.

5. What happens to the oscillations of charged balls connected by spring when the charges are of the same sign?

When the charges of the particles connected by spring are of the same sign, the electric forces between them are repulsive. This leads to an increase in the amplitude of oscillations, and the system may not reach equilibrium. The oscillations will continue indefinitely as long as there is no external interference or energy loss in the system.