Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charged black holes

1. Dec 31, 2008 #1
    Hi

I have few questions about charged BH.

1 I dont understand why the equations for the charged BH are different from BH without a charge. Why the gravitation, infinitely strong at the horizon, should 'care' about such minor additional forces like the electrical attraction/repulsion. Anyway, horizon is a point of no return as singularity becomes in the future for a free falling observer, no matter if he is charged or not. Additional electric repulsion would not 'save' the falling observer at the horizon.

2 Electron is orbiting a positively charged BH. QFT describes this attraction as exchange of virtual photons. But how can they pass thru the horizon?

3 Can BH have a color charge? Why not? Say green-antigreen u or d virtual quark pairs are torn abart at the horizon. What happens next?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2008 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry, I don't understand this.
    Roughly, virtual photons don't have to stay on the light-cone. See

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/BlackHoles/black_gravity.html.
    I thinks it's because, unlike the electromagnetic interaction, the colour force is not long-range, but I don't know the details.

String theorists play with black holes that have "exotic" charges.

4. Dec 31, 2008 #3
    2 Correct, I forgot about it. Thank you
    3 Well, residual strong force is short range, but the fundamental strong interaction is long range, because gluon is massless. It appears to be short range just because of the confinement, so the reason for being short range is very different from the reason why weak interaction is short range.

So I am still thinking about it.
    If virtual pair is torn apart by the horizon then both BH and space outside are color-charged...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?