Charged rod in your hand stays charged

In summary, when you rub a rubber rod with fur it becomes negatively charged. Due to the insulating properties of rubber, the charges cannot escape to your hand and are instead localized on the rod. When you bring the rod near an uncharged pith ball, the electrons on the ball are repelled and transferred to the ball.
reset_7

Homework Statement

When you rub a rubber rod with fur it becomes negatively charged. How does it keep it's charge if it's in your hand?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We did this in the lab and it definitely stays charged (at least long enough to observe some other reactions to it). I don't know why it doesn't lose it's charge into me since I'm holding it

Physics news on Phys.org
reset_7 said:
When you rub a rubber rod with fur it becomes negatively charged. How does it keep it's charge if it's in your hand?
hi rest_7, welcome to PF.
Unlike the metal rod, rubber is an insulator, in which charges are localized. They won't conduct through it to your hand to conduct to the ground. Due to this same reason you cannot charge the metal rod by holding it in your hand.

rl.bhat said:
hi rest_7, welcome to PF.
Unlike the metal rod, rubber is an insulator, in which charges are localized. They won't conduct through it to your hand to conduct to the ground. Due to this same reason you cannot charge the metal rod by holding it in your hand.

Thanks very much for the reply! That makes sense :-) But if it is not a conductor, how come when we brought that charged rubber rod to the pith ball it transferred it's charge to it?

Thanks again!

When you bring a negatively charged rubber rod near an uncharged pith ball, electrons on the pith ball are repelled back due to the repulsive force leaving the surface near the rod positively charged. When you touch the pith ball with the rod, electrons are transferred from the rod to the pith ball.

rl.bhat said:
When you bring a negatively charged rubber rod near an uncharged pith ball, electrons on the pith ball are repelled back due to the repulsive force leaving the surface near the rod positively charged. When you touch the pith ball with the rod, electrons are transferred from the rod to the pith ball.

Thanks for your time in helping me out. I guess that's what is confusing me. That the rod cannot transfer the electrons to me (because it's an insulator) but it can transfer those electrons to the pitch balls. Am I missing something?

The charges can only go from the surface of the rod, directly to anonther object that's touching the surface. If you swiped the entire surface of the rod with your hands, you could discharge it as well.

willem2 said:
The charges can only go from the surface of the rod, directly to anonther object that's touching the surface. If you swiped the entire surface of the rod with your hands, you could discharge it as well.

Fantastic, thanks for all your help!

What is a charged rod?

A charged rod is an object that has an excess of either positively or negatively charged particles, known as ions. This excess charge creates an electric field around the rod.

How does a charged rod stay charged?

A charged rod stays charged due to the conservation of charge. This means that the total amount of charge in a closed system remains constant. Therefore, the charged particles on the rod will not disappear unless they are transferred to another object.

What happens when you touch a charged rod?

When you touch a charged rod, the excess charged particles on the rod will transfer to your body, creating a temporary imbalance of charge. This is known as static electricity and can cause a shock if the charge is strong enough.

Why does a charged rod not always stay charged?

A charged rod can lose its charge if it comes into contact with a conductor, such as metal. The excess charged particles will transfer to the conductor, equalizing the charge between the rod and the conductor. Additionally, environmental factors, such as humidity, can also affect the charge on a rod.

Can a charged rod be discharged completely?

Yes, a charged rod can be discharged completely by touching it to a grounded object, such as the Earth. This allows the excess charged particles to flow into the Earth, equalizing the charge on the rod and discharging it completely.