Chat Event Thursday Oct. 2nd

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Originally posted by Shadow I hear you Monique but let's face it, greg can't do it for everyone unless he left the chat up for 24 hours which,... would be a bad ideaThat's not what I meant Shadow. I only want to say that I don't like your previous comment that it's a fair use of Central US Time because most users are from the US. I don't know if that's true. As you don't know it either. That's all. I only want to make you aware of that. In summary, the second chat for Thursday Oct. 2 will take place at two different times: 3:00pm and 8:00pm central time
The second chat to get things rolling will be Thursday Oct. 2 at 3:00pm and at 8:00pm central time. You'll find the main page turned into the chat program. Please use an updated browser and have the java plugin or runtime on your computer.

Hope to see you there!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why can't you put a link to a chat page on the main page, rather than making the entire forum inaccessible for a whole day?

- Warren

Originally posted by chroot
Why can't you put a link to a chat page on the main page, rather than making the entire forum inaccessible for a whole day?

- Warren

Who said it was inaccessible? Last time I had a link to the forums. On past experience, not many people will join in the fun unless you slap it in their face

I think it was a very sharp idea Greg. Once you jump into the chatroom, how can you leave without saying hi, bye; and by then the conversation has already started..

hey, that's tommorow...

at 3:00pm and at 8:00pm central time
Sigh, "central time" = the time in Chicago, USA (not Central European Time, or Central Australian Time, or ...). It's 6 hours behind UK time, or 7 GMT (note that the "All times are GMT. The time now is 04:20 PM" on the bottom of the main PF page is incorrect; the UK is still on summer time, so it's now 15:20 GMT) :smile:

Perhaps I'm the only one who finds the "US default" irritating? :frown:

Could someone be kind enough to offer advice on how to raise 'cultural awareness' on this? [?]

US default because a majority of the users are in the US, but it's not like you don't have the OPTION to change the time right ?

Oh and a non java chat engine that doesn't require an applet to be pushed through a firewall would be nice too:wink:

Originally posted by Zantra
US default because a majority of the users are in the US, but it's not like you don't have the OPTION to change the time right ?

Oh and a non java chat engine that doesn't require an applet to be pushed through a firewall would be nice too:wink:
Thank you Zanstra.

No, it's more that I have to parse "central time". Sure, after I've read this a couple (a dozen?) times it sticks. And then I sometimes get confused when switching from another site.

I guess what gets on my goat is that it is such a small, simple thing for those who use the "US default" to add a word or two - or to think for a few seconds (does this make sense to someone in China? India? Indonesia? Brazil?) - to help 'the minority'.

Of course, it may just be me (minority of one, cf ~10 to 49%?) [?]

Originally posted by Nereid
Sigh, "central time" = the time in Chicago, USA (not Central European Time, or Central Australian Time, or ...). It's 6 hours behind UK time, or 7 GMT (note that the "All times are GMT. The time now is 04:20 PM" on the bottom of the main PF page is incorrect; the UK is still on summer time, so it's now 15:20 GMT) :smile:

Perhaps I'm the only one who finds the "US default" irritating? :frown:

Could someone be kind enough to offer advice on how to raise 'cultural awareness' on this? [?]

My time is displayed correctly, Nereid, CET = GMT + 1 hour.

You do have a point that it would be usefull to have some standard indicators what the central time would be on different continents

ie. CET = US central + 7 hours.

A chat event at 3 pm means it will be 10 pm in central Europe.. a little late Greg? 8 pm is 3 am..

Originally posted by Monique
My time is displayed correctly, Nereid, CET = GMT + 1 hour.
Daylight saving (or summer) time does cause confusion. In Europe it's not too bad, as everyone (?) changes on the same day (which is not the same day on which our friends across the pond change).

However, GMT remains GMT; there's no summer! The formal name for summertime is "British Summer Time" (BST, not to be confused with BSE!).

More time trivia, from a site which should know what it's talking about:
http://greenwichmeantime.com/

does this make sense to someone in China? India? Indonesia? Brazil?
Nereid, I live in one of the places you've listed above and I live in Hong Kong SAR, China. My time zone is 12 hours ahead. 3pm to 8pm US Central Time means 3am - 8am to me. I got up at 4.30am and logged into the chat room last time. I don't mind getting up early as it's my choice. I also think its fair to use Central US time coz most users are from the US.

By the way, I think it's pretty cool to have such a large time difference.

Originally posted by Shadow
AS was stated most users here are from the USA but I would also like to add that this website is US based and since some other uses outside teh US don't have the problem you do I think you should fix the problem instead of complaining

argument by server location..., oh no, wait that's just nonsense

here's something to help us all non US central time people
http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc

Originally posted by Shadow
AS was stated most users here are from the USA but I would also like to add that this website is US based and since some other uses outside teh US don't have the problem you do I think you should fix the problem instead of complaining
That is very nice huh, Shadow? First of all, I would like to see the demographical distribution of members. I am sure you don't know them?

I hear you Monique but let's face it, greg can't do it for everyone unless he left the chat up for 24 hours which, I am not sure he'd do that. But like it was said before the majority is US and if he favored the times in Europe it wouldn't make sense...
As for right now, it is now 6:19 am US central time and there are 46 active users of which 8 members. Who knows where they are from, not from the US.

He couldn't do it much earlier because most people here are younger, in high school or college, and those that are not have jobs so they would not be home during the day.
Oh common, so a 3 pm chatevents works for those high school/college kids? It was my impression that the 8 pm chatevent was for the US people and the 3 pm chat for other continents.. but neither Asia nor Europe really fits that time.

No hard feelings, it is up to Greg, I am not sure why the particular time was choosen (maybe he has to physically start the session?)

I am just saying that it would be nice for US people to consider the other world that is out there over that ocean. I am sorry to say that your attitude in not helping Shadow.

That is very nice huh, Shadow? First of all, I would like to see the demographical distribution of members. I am sure you don't know them?

As for right now, it is now 6:19 am US central time and there are 46 active users of which 8 members. Who knows where they are from, not from the US.

Oh common, so a 3 pm chatevents works for those high school/college kids? It was my impression that the 8 pm chatevent was for the US people and the 3 pm chat for other continents.. but neither Asia nor Europe really fits that time.

No hard feelings, it is up to Greg, I am not sure why the particular time was choosen (maybe he has to physically start the session?)

I am just saying that it would be nice for US people to consider the other world that is out there over that ocean. I am sorry to say that your attitude in not helping Shadow.

First of all I apologize for not being specific with what "central" time zone I was thinking of. Secondly it is impossible for me to set a time that everyone around the world can participate in. I set 3pm-8pm because the stats I have lead me to believe are the most highly trafficed times. So to me that means where ever our members are, quite a few are on between thoses times on average.

Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood
argument by server location..., oh no, wait that's just nonsense

here's something to help us all non US central time people
http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc
Nice link, but not very accurate.
The DST is in effect in Amman, while this site thinks it is not (and therefore calculated the time in a wrong way).
I guess the chat time is not conveinient for all people in the middle east, east europe, and west Asia. But i think you are right Greg, you can't satisfy everyone, but you are still satisfying the most possible :smile:.
Once (About a year ago), i planned to wake up at 5 AM to attend a PF chat, but ... i was unable (school, sleeping late, and ... stuff).

EDIT:
I am just saying that it would be nice for US people to consider the other world that is out there over that ocean
If we disclude PF, i think that (decucting from their behaviour) people in US don't even know that there is anyone outside US (well, i have to admit that they know Canada, and they know Mexico, since they flee to it when they do crimes )

Last edited:
Originally posted by STAii
If we disclude PF, i think that (decucting from their behaviour) people in US don't even know that there is anyone outside US (well, i have to admit that they know Canada, and they know Mexico, since they flee to it when they do crimes )

I agree. And Greg, that didn't apply to you. You seem to have got a good argument there, but wouldn't it be possible to next time to do it ONE hour earlier? To give people in eastern Europe a chance..

I agree. And Greg, that didn't apply to you. You seem to have got a good argument there, but wouldn't it be possible to next time to do it ONE hour earlier? To give people in eastern Europe a chance..

Yes, and as I push to make a set reoccuring chat time I will make a poll as to what day/time works for the majority.

Well, that was good fun!

so Greg, about the next chat... could you put it on a friday night? please

That would be a great alternative! I was all sleepy today at the exam :( but all went alright.

although I know that I was not one of those 8 members or 38 guests but I have come on early in the morning before going to school...and with so many different work schedules and school schedules out there, how are you to know who is US based? Like you said who knows? I don't but I am certain you don't either.

Ok well. Greg honestly answer this question. At work or college, have you ever come on PF or AOL Instant Messenger? I know I have, and judging by some of the times of day I see you on, you have too. So it could easily work monique, just as I said before not everyone has the same schedule. Some people work nights. Some people take college courses at night. Who knows?

I'm sorry I have re-read my post and it was rude and I'm sorry and I promise you, I will delete it. but let me say this first. Between this quote by you:

and Staii:

By this and many other things outside of PF, its easy to see that most Europeans, Asians, etc think that "oh the US doesn't know anything about us" or "They don't even know we exist" or something ot that affect. Well if that were so we wouldn't be sending our men out, putting their lives in danger over in Iraq and Afghanistan would we? You say we don't notice you, yet most other countries are anti american, yet they expect us to come to their aid. Is it because we are a superpower and expected to do everything? Or is it that we are doing too much for one country and not another? Or is it because we are doing to much, period? I really would like to know because it really is confusing. I'm sorry I said some rude things, I really am. I hope everyone that lives outside the United States and took offense by this forgives me.

Hi Shadow, thank you for replying and caring.

What I specifically pointed to is the arrogance with which the US looks at the world. Not necessarily that they don't care about other nations, since they do, but more the idea of superiority.

When I was returning to the Netherlands, people were questioning me: how can you do that? You'll be taking a step back (!). You can become anything you want in the US, what will come of you in the Netherlands? In the US you can make a lot of money.

Like I was going back to some undeveloped country or something.

Specifically about distribution of people: the United States is a very large country (9.629.091 sq km where 1 sq km is about 0.39 sq mi) so in order to see the perspective, you should compare the number of people from the US with the number of people from larger Europe up to the former Soviet Union (which is about the same size, with the same times zones).

So, there are 101 people that I found from North America (incl. 15 Canadians) that have been active in the last month and have posted regularly, and there are 48 people from Europe (34 from Western). Then there are 9 people from around Australia and 9 people from Asia.

So everyone is up to speed :)

So, there are 101 people that I found from North America (incl. 15 Canadians) that have been active in the last month and have posted regularly, and there are 48 people from Europe (34 from Western). Then there are 9 people from around Australia and 9 people from Asia.

I'm just curious, but where do you get these stats? or better, how? And, I'm just wondering, because i really like reading the statistics you've been sharing, but maybe there could be some page just for statistics like that, like, in the members section or something, or maybe you could post stats in newletters or something. I dunno, i think it'd be neat, and i'd like to be up to date on pf numbers.

Hi Gale! Yes, I think it is cool too. 28 countries at this forum just within the last month is pretty impressive.

I got the numbers by doing a member search, which was resticted by the following criteria:
-the last time they were active should at least be sept-1-3
-minimum number of posts should be at least 10

Those are the ones I went through and checked the profiles if they listed where they were from. I put the list in Excel, which has a really nice feature where information can be mapped on a geographic map -> highlighting the countries, even in different colors depending how many people are in it.. all automatically :)

I am not a computer whiz, so I don't know how to extract the data and compile it into a database without doing it manually.. and the format of the data also doesn't allow it to be extracted efficiently, since it is typed in and not a toggle box.

The solution would be to have upon registering a toggle box to choose a sex and a country. Both should be optional to respect people's privacy.

That would allow an automatic extraction.

The other option would be to have polls where people can participate and vote..

I know Greg is very busy. But you are always welcome to start polls of your own, Gale :)

There actually used to be a page with the statistics of member count by month, day and hour.. I wonder if that is still accessible? I haven't seen it at least in a long time..

What is the Chat Event happening on October 2nd?

The Chat Event on October 2nd is an online event where scientists and researchers from various fields come together to discuss their latest findings and engage in scientific discussions with the public.

Who can participate in the Chat Event on October 2nd?

Anyone can participate in the Chat Event on October 2nd. It is open to the public and encourages people of all ages and backgrounds to join in and learn about different scientific topics.

How can I join the Chat Event on October 2nd?

You can join the Chat Event on October 2nd by visiting the event's website or social media page. There will be a link to join the event, where you can register and participate in the discussions.

What topics will be discussed during the Chat Event on October 2nd?

The topics discussed during the Chat Event on October 2nd will vary, as they will be determined by the participating scientists and researchers. However, some common topics may include recent scientific discoveries, current research projects, and scientific advancements in various fields.

Will there be any experts present at the Chat Event on October 2nd?

Yes, there will be experts from different scientific fields present at the Chat Event on October 2nd. They will be leading the discussions and answering questions from the public, providing valuable insights and knowledge on various scientific topics.