Inter-Planetary Modeling: Our Solar System Simulation

In summary: I'm not sure if that was because we didn't include them or what, but we'll get to that in the project report.In summary, we wrote an applet simulating a scientific model for a project in PHYC 2050. We took into account inter-planetary actions and used a simple "assume force is contant for time t and advance the system" algorithm. It appeared to overestimate on average, but it had the best usefulness to "we can do this" ratio. One of the planets shot out of space! However, we still got a "1% bonus for contacting NASA" and the program stopped at 14129 years and 308 days.
Alkatran
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
We had a project in PHYC 2050 to write an applet simulating a scientific model. Me and my partner chose the solar system, which was a step up from the other projects (ideal gas law, refraction :biggrin: ).

We took into account inter-planetary actions and used a simple "assume force is contant for time t and advance the system" algorithm. It appears to overestimate on average, but it had the best usefulness to "we can do this" ratio.

In any case, check it out at:
myweb.dal.ca/cr376499

The 2d version is the project we submitted and the 3d version is just me wanting to make it 3d. It already did all the z coordinate calculations so it was just a matter of drawing them.

Special thanks goes to tony873004 (from here) who told me about the JPL horizons system so we could get our hands on the position and velocities of planets.

Physics news on Phys.org
One of the planets shot out of space!

Here is an image:

http://img447.imageshack.us/img447/6930/planetgone7jx.th.png

I don't know if mercury is coming back :cry:

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/1850/mercurycomingback3li.png

No more problems with the moon
And years are now a lot longer! :smile:

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/1102/nomoremoonprobs4al.th.png
The program stopped at 14129 years and 308 days :cry:

I am not sure what happened with some of the planets in long periods of time, but the program is still pretty cool! :approve:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's because of the inaccuracy involved when the time-step has to be increased to go at 10 simulated years per second. The only reason I let it go that high is because you need 10 yr/s to see pluto move at a decent pace.

The thing that surprised me the most after making this was the fact that pluto was so out-of-wack with the other planets. I knew that it had a more elliptical path that sent it closer and further than uranus, but had no idea it was tilted.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/4514/solarsys0us.th.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Good news! We got 99% on the project, including a "1% bonus for contacting NASA" haha. The main criticism was "where are the solar flares on the sun?" :rolleyes:

1. What is Inter-Planetary Modeling?

Inter-Planetary Modeling is a scientific method used to simulate and study the dynamics of our Solar System, including the orbits and interactions between planets, moons, and other celestial bodies.

2. Why is Inter-Planetary Modeling important?

Inter-Planetary Modeling plays a crucial role in helping scientists understand the complex and ever-changing nature of our Solar System. It allows us to make predictions and observations about the behavior of celestial bodies, and aids in our understanding of the formation and evolution of our Solar System.

3. What tools are used for Inter-Planetary Modeling?

Inter-Planetary Modeling involves the use of advanced computer simulations and mathematical equations to accurately represent the movements and interactions of celestial bodies in our Solar System. Scientists also use data from spacecraft and telescopes to inform and refine their models.

4. How do scientists validate their Inter-Planetary Models?

Scientists validate their Inter-Planetary Models by comparing their predictions to real-world observations and measurements. If the model accurately reflects the behavior of our Solar System, it can be considered a valid representation of reality.

5. What are some practical applications of Inter-Planetary Modeling?

Inter-Planetary Modeling has many practical applications, including predicting and understanding the effects of space weather on Earth, planning and executing missions to other planets, and identifying potential hazards for spacecraft traveling through our Solar System.