Checking divergence/convergence for alternating series

In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence of a given series with alternating signs and the use of various tests, such as Leibniz rule and the second comparative test, to determine its convergence. The conversation also explores the idea of using the "squeeze play" theorem to evaluate the limit and the possibility of comparing the absolute series to a conditionally convergent series. Ultimately, it is concluded that the series converges conditionally.
Dell
i am given te series:

Σ(-1)n-1/{n+50*cos(n)}
n=1

1st thing i check is

lim |an| = 0
n->∞

so i know that the series might converge and might diverge,

since this is a series with an alternating sign, i checked with lebniz rule,
an>an+1 ==> not true for this series since -1<cos(n)<1 i cannot know if the denominator of an is bigger or smaller than that of an+1

so using leibniz i cannot prove conditional convergence, (and i know from the answer that this series converges),

can i use the second comparative test, ie

if an/bn=K ( not 0, not \infty) then an, bn both diverge/converge

if i take bn=(-1)n-1/n which i know converges(conditionally)

therefore
lim an/bn= 1
n->\∞

so an converges

which is the right answer BUT i think that this comaprison is only for positive series,

how else can i solve alternating series

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a tough one, that's for sure. A thought that might or might not help is this:
n - 50 <= n + cos(n) <= n + 50

so 1/(n + 50) <= 1/(n + cos(n)) <= 1/(n - 50) (assuming that n > 50)

Looking at the expressions at the two ends above, can you convince yourself that the two alternating series whose general terms are given by these two expressions both converge? If that's the case, it seems to me that the alternating series whose general term is given by the middle expression has to converge as well.

i thought of that too, but i was told that these comparative tests are only good for positive series,

what i wanted to do was use the 2nd comparative test that says

lim An/Bn =K (not 0 not infinity) then the 2 series converge/diverge together,

i wanted to take my Bn as(-1)^(n-1)/n
so that the division would give me

lim (n+50*cos(n))/n =1
n->inf

now i know that Bn converges therefore An must too converge, But these tests are apparently no good for alternating signs.

any other thoughts?

Dell,
What I've suggested is more along the lines of the "squeeze play" theorem that is used to evaluate limits. I'm suggesting that if, term by term, Sigma an <= Sigma bn <= Sigma cn, and you know that the outer two series converge, it seems to be that the one in the middle is forced to converge as well.

yes i get that, but from what i understand this is incorrect since you are taking the abs values of this series and not taking into acount the -1 , which changes the sign, so i get (Sigma an <= Sigma bn <= Sigma cn) and then (Sigma an+1 >= Sigma bn+1 >= Sigma cn+1),

{also this is only correct from n=50, but i can overcome that}

is it alright to only compare the positive series of these?

I would say yes; by letting the (-1)n-1=1 you would be attempting to prove absolute convergence. If the series does converge absolutely, then it converges automatically with the (-1)n-1 term.

I'm not sure how comparing the absolute series an to a series that converges conditionally would affect the convergence vis-a-vis absoluteness of conditionality; I would say that would result in an converging conditionally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_convergence

1. What is an alternating series?

An alternating series is a series in which the signs of the terms alternate between positive and negative. For example, an alternating series could look like 1 - 2 + 3 - 4 + 5 - ...

2. How do you check for divergence/convergence in an alternating series?

To check for convergence or divergence in an alternating series, you can use the alternating series test. This test states that if the terms of an alternating series decrease in absolute value and approach 0, then the series will converge. However, if the terms do not approach 0, then the series will diverge.

3. What is the alternating series test?

The alternating series test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of an alternating series. It states that if the terms of an alternating series decrease in absolute value and approach 0, then the series will converge. If the terms do not approach 0, then the series will diverge.

4. Can an alternating series converge if the terms do not approach 0?

No, the alternating series test states that if the terms do not approach 0, then the series will diverge. This means that for an alternating series to converge, the terms must approach 0.

5. What is the difference between absolute convergence and conditional convergence for alternating series?

Absolute convergence refers to a series that converges when all terms are replaced with their absolute values. Conditional convergence refers to a series that converges when the terms are not replaced with their absolute values. For alternating series, a series can be absolutely convergent or conditionally convergent, but not both.