Checking if $f_1, f_2, f_3 Belong to $S_{X,3}$

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
In summary, the function f is continuous at every point in the interval $[-1,1]$, but is not of degree $3$.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $S_{X,3}$ be the vector space of the cubic splines functions on $[-1, 1]$ with the points \begin{equation*}X=\left \{x_0=-1, \ x_1=-\frac{1}{2},\ x_2=0,\ x_3=\frac{1}{2}, \ x_4=1\right \}\end{equation*}

I want to check if the following function are in $S_{X,3}$.
  1. $f_1(x):=|x|^3$
  2. $f_2(x)=\left (x-\frac{1}{3}\right )_+^3$
  3. $f_3(x)=-x+x^3+3x^5$
  4. $f_4(x)=\sum_{n=0}^3a_nx^n$, $a_n\in \mathbb{R}, n=0, \ldots , 3$
We have to check at each case if the function are of degree at most $3$ and are $C^2$, or not? (Wondering)

I have done the following:

1. $f_1(x):=|x|^3=|x|^3=\begin{cases}
    x^3 \ \ \ ,& x\geq 0\\
    -x^3 \ ,& x<0
    \end{cases}$

This function is continuous at every point, i.e. at $[-1, 0), (0, 1]$ and at $x=0$.

Then we have to check if the derivative id continuous. How can we calculate the derivative? (Wondering)
  2. $f_2(x)=\left (x-\frac{1}{3}\right )_+^3$

What exactly does the $+$ mean? (Wondering)
  3. $f_3(x)=-x+x^3+3x^5$

This function is not in $S_{X,3}$, since it is of order $5$ instead of at most $3$.
  4. $f_4(x)=\sum_{n=0}^3a_nx^n$, $a_n\in \mathbb{R}, n=0, \ldots , 3$

This function is $C^2$ and of degree $3$.

From that it follows that $f_4\in S_{X,3}$, right? (Wondering)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
[*] $f_1(x):=|x|^3=|x|^3=\begin{cases}
x^3 \ \ \ ,& x\geq 0\\
-x^3 \ ,& x<0
\end{cases}$

This function is continuous at every point, i.e. at $[-1, 0), (0, 1]$ and at $x=0$.

Then we have to check if the derivative id continuous. How can we calculate the derivative?

Hey mathmari!

Isn't the derivative:
$$f_1'(x)=\begin{cases}
3x^2 \ \ \ ,& x\geq 0\\
-3x^2 \ ,& x<0
\end{cases}$$
(Wondering)

mathmari said:
[*] $f_2(x)=\left (x-\frac{1}{3}\right )_+^3$

What exactly does the $+$ mean?

I don't know. I haven't seen such a subscript + before.
Can it be a typo? (Wondering)
mathmari said:
[*] $f_3(x)=-x+x^3+3x^5$

This function is not in $S_{X,3}$, since it is of order $5$ instead of at most $3$.

[*] $f_4(x)=\sum_{n=0}^3a_nx^n$, $a_n\in \mathbb{R}, n=0, \ldots , 3$

This function is $C^2$ and of degree $3$.

From that it follows that $f_4\in S_{X,3}$, right?

Yep. (Nod)

Could the subscript $+$ be the positive part of the expression between parentheses?

I see! Thank you! (Happy) What about the following function?

$f(x)=\left ||x|^3-\left |x+\frac{1}{3}\right |^2\right |=\begin{cases}|x|^3-\left |x+\frac{1}{3}\right |^2 , & |x|^3-\left |x+\frac{1}{3}\right |^2>0\\ |x|^3-\left |x+\frac{1}{3}\right |^2 , & |x|^3-\left |x+\frac{1}{3}\right |^2<0\end{cases}=\begin{cases}|x|^3-\left |x+\frac{1}{3}\right |^2 , & |x|^3>\left (x+\frac{1}{3}\right )^2\\ |x|^3-\left |x+\frac{1}{3}\right |^2 , & |x|^3<\left (x+\frac{1}{3}\right )^2\end{cases}$ How can we check what subintervals of $[-1,1]$ we have here? (Wondering)

Looks like we need to divide it further into sub cases for [-1,-1/3), [-1/3, 0), [0, 1], don't we? (Wondering)

1. How do you define $S_{X,3}$?

$S_{X,3}$ is the set of all possible permutations of 3 elements from the set X. This means that each element in the set $S_{X,3}$ is a unique arrangement of 3 elements from the set X.

2. What is the purpose of checking if $f_1, f_2, f_3$ belong to $S_{X,3}$?

The purpose of this check is to determine if the given functions $f_1, f_2, f_3$ can be represented as permutations of elements from the set X. This is important in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as in group theory and combinatorics.

3. How can you check if $f_1, f_2, f_3$ belong to $S_{X,3}$?

To check if a function belongs to $S_{X,3}$, you can first list out all possible permutations of 3 elements from the set X. Then, you can compare the given functions $f_1, f_2, f_3$ to these permutations to see if they match. If there is a match, then the functions belong to $S_{X,3}$.

4. What are some examples of functions that belong to $S_{X,3}$?

Some examples of functions that belong to $S_{X,3}$ are: $f(x)=x^2$, $g(x)=\sin(x)$, and $h(x)=\frac{1}{x}$. These functions can be represented as permutations of elements from the set of real numbers, which is denoted as $S_{\mathbb{R},3}$.

5. Can a function belong to $S_{X,3}$ if X has less than 3 elements?

No, a function cannot belong to $S_{X,3}$ if X has less than 3 elements. This is because $S_{X,3}$ is specifically defined as the set of permutations of 3 elements from the set X. If X has less than 3 elements, there are not enough elements to form a permutation of 3 elements, and thus the function cannot belong to $S_{X,3}$.