CHEM QUESTION - answer fast thx alot

• Thread starter xLaser
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem
In summary, the question asks for the [H3O]+ and pH of 1 M hydrochloric acid. The correct calculation for pH using the given formula results in a pH of 0, which makes sense for a strong acid. The concentration of H3O+ in 1 M HCl is also 1 mol/L, confirming that the calculation was done correctly.
xLaser
:::::: CHEM QUESTION - answer fast please thanks a lot ::::::::

Hi, this maybe a very stupid question but I have a test coming up tomorrow and I'm not sure of this thing here:

Suppose you were given 1 M hydrochloric acid (I assume 1 M to mean a concentration of 1 mol/ L ) Calculate its [H3O]+ (square brackets mean concentratioN) and pH.

ok what did was using pH = - log [H3O]+

then u get -log (1) = 0

there pH =0 , which makes sense since HCl is a very strong acid.

and then apparently the [H3O]+ is 1 mol/L since it was given in the question.

BUT THEN IF IT LIKE THIS, THEN WHAT KIND OF STUPID QUESTION IS THIS? LOL!

I doubt i did this right so can someone please confirm that i did it right or wrong? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
A strong acid diassociates completely in [itex] H_{3}O^{+} [/itex] or [itex] H^{+} [/itex] so yes the ph will be -log[concentration] and the amount of [itex] H_{3}O^{+} [/itex] or [itex] H^{+} [/itex] will be the HCL concentration.

Hi there,

First of all, there is no such thing as a stupid question when it comes to learning. It's great that you are taking the initiative to ask for help and clarification.

You are correct in your calculation for the pH of 1 M hydrochloric acid. As you mentioned, the pH of a strong acid would be 0, since it completely dissociates in water to form H3O+ ions.

In terms of the concentration of H3O+ ions, it would indeed be 1 mol/L since that is the concentration of the hydrochloric acid given in the question. So, you did the calculation correctly.

Keep up the good work and good luck on your test tomorrow!

1. What is the difference between an element and a compound?

An element is a pure substance that cannot be broken down into simpler substances by chemical means. It is made up of only one type of atom. A compound, on the other hand, is a substance made up of two or more different elements chemically combined in a fixed ratio.

2. How do you balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, you need to make sure that the number of atoms of each element on the reactant side is equal to the number of atoms of that element on the product side. This is done by adjusting the coefficients (numbers in front of each compound or element) until the equation is balanced.

3. What is the difference between an exothermic and endothermic reaction?

An exothermic reaction releases energy in the form of heat, making the surroundings feel warmer. In contrast, an endothermic reaction absorbs energy, making the surroundings feel colder.

4. What is the periodic table and how is it organized?

The periodic table is a tabular arrangement of all known elements in order of increasing atomic number. It is organized into periods (rows) and groups (columns). Elements in the same group share similar properties, while elements in the same period have the same number of energy levels.

5. What is the difference between an acid and a base?

An acid is a substance that donates hydrogen ions in a chemical reaction, while a base is a substance that accepts hydrogen ions. Acids have a pH less than 7 and taste sour, while bases have a pH greater than 7 and taste bitter.