1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CHEM QUESTION - answer fast thx alot

1. Jan 9, 2005 #1
    :::::: CHEM QUESTION - answer fast plz thx alot ::::::::

Hi, this maybe a very stupid question but I have a test coming up tomorrow and i'm not sure of this thing here:

Suppose you were given 1 M hydrochloric acid (I assume 1 M to mean a concentration of 1 mol/ L ) Calculate its [H3O]+ (square brackets mean concentratioN) and pH.

ok what did was using pH = - log [H3O]+

then u get -log (1) = 0

there pH =0 , which makes sense since HCl is a very strong acid.

and then apparently the [H3O]+ is 1 mol/L since it was given in the question.

BUT THEN IF IT LIKE THIS, THEN WHAT KIND OF STUPID QUESTION IS THIS???? LOL!

I doubt i did this right so can someone please confirm that i did it right or wrong? thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2005 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

A strong acid diassociates completely in [itex] H_{3}O^{+} [/itex] or [itex] H^{+} [/itex] so yes the ph will be -log[concentration] and the amount of [itex] H_{3}O^{+} [/itex] or [itex] H^{+} [/itex] will be the HCL concentration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?