Chemical arithmetics: Answers not matching

• Thread starter wirefree
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemical
In summary,The two equations do not match. The first equation shows Na2CO3 going to Na2O, while the second equation shows Na2CO3 as a product that just stays there.
wirefree
Question: 2.0 g of a mixture of Na2CO3 and NaHCO3 was heated when its weight reduced to 1.876 g. Determine the percentage composition of the mixture.

Attempt: Here is my attempt:

i4jyfk.png

Problem: My answers do not match those of the text. More critically, the procedure I've adopted is itself inconsistent with that outlined in the text: the "its" in the first line of the problem statement is interpreted in the text as the mass of Na2O alone, whereas I am considering it to be the combined mass of the products (see first 2 lines - chemical reactions - of my attempt above).

Whose interpretation is correct?

Would appreciate some thoughts.

wirefree

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For those discouraged to answer, I've removed links to images in my original post and inserted the appropriate image instead.

Regards,
wirefree

Last edited:
I don't get the light blue comment nor the equation after it.

Think again: what are the reactions taking place and what are the final products?

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
wirefree said:
Question: 2.0 g of a mixture of Na2CO3 and NaHCO3 was heated when its weight reduced to 1.876 g. Determine the percentage composition of the mixture.Attempt: Here is my attempt:

i4jyfk.png
Problem: My answers do not match those of the text. More critically, the procedure I've adopted is itself inconsistent with that outlined in the text: the "its" in the first line of the problem statement is interpreted in the text as the mass of Na2O alone, whereas I am considering it to be the combined mass of the products (see first 2 lines - chemical reactions - of my attempt above).

Whose interpretation is correct?

Would appreciate some thoughts.wirefree

Not gone through. Unfortunate fact: someone else's arithmetic is as attracting as someone else's unmade bed. Despite your colouring etc. is thoughtful and helpful and as good as it gets! :approve:

However I noticed that in your first equation Na2CO3 went to Na2O. In the second you show Na2CO3 as a product that just stays there. Why wouldn't that also go to Na2O ?

Last edited:
: It is important to clarify the language and units used in the problem to ensure accurate answers. In this case, the question states "weight reduced to 1.876 g" which could mean either the total weight of the mixture or just the weight of Na2O. However, based on the given information, it is likely that the 1.876 g refers to the total weight of the products, which includes Na2O and CO2. Therefore, it would be more accurate to interpret "its weight" as the total weight of the products, not just Na2O. This would result in a different calculation and percentage composition compared to your attempt. It is important to carefully read and interpret all information given in a problem to ensure accurate solutions.

1. What is chemical arithmetic?

Chemical arithmetic is a branch of chemistry that involves performing calculations and solving problems related to the quantities of substances involved in chemical reactions.

2. How do you perform calculations using chemical arithmetic?

In chemical arithmetic, calculations are usually done using the mole concept, which involves converting between moles and other units such as mass, volume, and number of particles.

3. What is a common mistake that can lead to answers not matching in chemical arithmetic?

A common mistake in chemical arithmetic is not paying attention to the correct units and conversions. It is important to use consistent units throughout the calculation and to convert between units when necessary.

4. Can you provide an example of chemical arithmetic with answers not matching?

Sure, let's say we have a chemical reaction where 2 moles of hydrogen gas reacts with 1 mole of oxygen gas to produce 2 moles of water. If we incorrectly use grams instead of moles for the reactants, the answers will not match up due to the incorrect conversion.

5. How can one prevent discrepancies in answers when using chemical arithmetic?

To prevent discrepancies in answers, it is important to double check all unit conversions, use the correct number of significant figures, and round to the appropriate number of decimal places. It is also helpful to show all work and use clear and organized calculations.