Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical Etching of Iron and Gold

1. Jun 13, 2008 #1

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello All,

I have a sample which has been covered in a layer of iron and gold for protection. So, in order to work with the sample, we need to etch away the metallic layers. I hear there is a specific chemical recipe for chemically etching away iron and gold from a sample. If anyone can link me to a list of instructions for doing chemical etching of Fe and Au that would be great. Any help at all is appreciated! Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2008 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I wonder if both will be not dissolved in the aerated cyanide bath, but that's not a recipe, that's a chemical instinct.

Gold is so strongly complexed by cyanides that oxygen from the air is strong anough oxidizer. Iron doesn't need strong oxidizer, in fact any acid will do, but it is complexed by cyanides as well so it will most likely follow the same path as gold. The only problem is what pH will be the best, as low pH will be deadly (evolving HCN) while high can precipitate iron hydroxide (unless complex is strong enough; that can be easily calculated).

4. Jun 13, 2008 #3

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Aqua regia will etch both; its recipe is readily available online. You MUST wear personal protective equipment (goggles, face shield, apron, gloves) and use proper ventilation equipment, preferably a chemical fume hood.

5. Jun 13, 2008 #4

Borek

Yes, I didn't mentioned it as it will eat through gold, iron and everything else :wink: Cyanide bath - while dangerous too - will be probably more specific.

6. Jun 13, 2008 #5

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good point. G01, what is the underlying sample made of?

Potassium iodide is another good selective etchant for gold.

7. Jun 13, 2008 #6

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. In the mean time I have done some research and decided that a 1:2:10 mix of I2, KI, and H2O are best for my purposes. I here it's very selective and wont attack the material underneath.

Thanks for the advice!

8. Jun 13, 2008 #7

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's good. Silicon won't be affected by any of the etchants we've discussed. Good luck!

9. Jul 23, 2008 #8

Borek

Just for the record: I am reading August issue of Journal of Chemical Education and there is a paper that lists several etching baths based on potassium ferricyanide.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?