Is the Fugacity Equation the Key to Proving Chemical Thermodynamics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of fundamental thermodynamic relations to find a relationship between the molar gibbs energy and fugacity for a pure liquid. The equation for fugacity is defined as g-g^o=RT ln (f/f^o), where g^o and f^o are the reference state values. By equating this with the fundamental thermodynamic relation dg=RT d(ln f), and substituting in the expression for \left(\frac{\partial g}{\partial P}\right)_T, a relationship between the molar gibbs energy and fugacity can be found.
danago
Gold Member
Hey. I am currently studying chemical thermodynamics and have reached the section on solution thermodynamics.

For a pure liquid:

[tex]
\left(\frac{\partial g}{\partial P}\right)_T=RT \left(\frac{\partial ln(f)}{\partial P}\right)_T
[/tex]

Where g is the molar gibbs energy
P is pressure
T is temperature
R is the ideal gas constant
f is the fugacity

My first thought was to make use of one of the fundamental thermodynamic relations:

[tex]dg = v dP - s dT \Rightarrow \left(\frac{\partial g}{\partial P}\right)_T=v[/tex]

Where v is the molar volume and s is the molar entropy.

Anybody have any suggestions for a next step? :smile:

Thanks in advance,
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, just as i posted this i had an idea.

Fugacity is defined by the equation:

[tex]
g-g^{o}=RT ln (\frac{f}{f^o})
[/tex]

Since the reference state is fixed (i.e. [tex]dg^o=df^o=0[/tex]):

[tex]
dg = RT d(ln f)
[/tex]

Equating this with dg from the fundamental thermodynamic relation i mentioned in the first post (with dT=0 since temperature is being held constant):

[tex]RT d(ln f) = v dP \Rightarrow \frac{d(ln f)}{dP}=\frac{v}{RT}[/tex]

Substituting in (from the first post)

[tex]
\left(\frac{\partial g}{\partial P}\right)_T=v
[/tex]

will give the required relationship.

Does that look right?

1. What is chemical thermodynamics proof?

Chemical thermodynamics proof is the use of mathematical equations and principles to prove the thermodynamic properties of a chemical reaction or system. It helps to determine the direction and extent of a chemical reaction and predict the conditions under which it will take place.

2. How is chemical thermodynamics proof different from other forms of proof in chemistry?

Chemical thermodynamics proof is based on the laws of thermodynamics, which govern the energy and entropy changes in a chemical system. It uses scientific equations and concepts to provide quantitative proof, whereas other forms of proof in chemistry may be more qualitative.

3. What are some common equations used in chemical thermodynamics proof?

Some common equations used in chemical thermodynamics proof include the Gibbs free energy equation, the enthalpy equation, and the entropy equation. These equations help to calculate the energy changes, heat transfer, and disorder of a chemical system, respectively.

4. How is chemical thermodynamics proof relevant to real-world applications?

Chemical thermodynamics proof is crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of chemical reactions in various industries, such as pharmaceuticals, energy production, and materials science. It also plays a vital role in designing and optimizing chemical processes and systems.

5. Are there any limitations to chemical thermodynamics proof?

While chemical thermodynamics proof is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It assumes that reactions occur at equilibrium and do not take into account factors such as reaction rate or mechanism. It also does not consider the effects of external factors, such as pressure or temperature changes, on a chemical system.