Chemistry BS, Looking to go into computational chemistry

In summary, with dedication and additional courses, you can learn computational chemistry from online or night schools, and many colleges and universities offer courses in this field. Organizations and companies also offer training courses in computational chemistry, and having a strong background in mathematics, physics, and computer programming is essential for success in this field.
t14dan
Hi Physics forum.
I am a BS in biochemistry, looking into going into computer programming with my chemistry degree. I got A's in Gen Chem I and II, Organic Chem, Analytical Chem, Physical Chem, but I sucked at Biochemistry and got a C-. I got a B in Calc II but I was good at the Integration. I just had difficulty learning Taylor and McLauren Series. Dunno, It just felt like ******** when there were no numbers involved. I did really try, I just couldn't help feeling like I could just look this stuff up on wikipedia. Anyways, I don't have great job prospects in R&D b/c of my biochem grades (I got C- in both semesters) and I don't quite feel ready to commit to graduate school (I know people who have gone to graduate school, so I have some(not much) understanding of how much the expectations are.
So, here is my question.
I'm going to get a lab tech position at a chemical or research company. With dedication, could I learn computational chemistry from some sort of online or night school, or is this a pipe dream?

Also, do you know of any colleges or universities that offer this kind of opportunity?

Physics news on Phys.org
The short answer to your question is yes - you can learn computational chemistry from online or night schools, and many colleges and universities offer courses in this field. However, it's important to note that to really become proficient in this field, you'll need to have a strong background in mathematics, physics, and computer programming. You may need to take additional courses to supplement your existing knowledge in order to fully understand the concepts and techniques involved in computational chemistry. Additionally, if you plan to pursue a career in this field, it would be beneficial to pursue a graduate degree in a related field. If you are looking for universities or colleges that offer courses in computational chemistry, you can search for programs online. For example, Stanford University has an online course in computational chemistry. Other universities such as Harvard, UC Berkeley, and MIT also offer courses in this field. It's also worth noting that there are some organizations and companies that offer training courses in computational chemistry. Some of these include the American Chemical Society, the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry, and the Royal Society of Chemistry. Overall, learning computational chemistry is possible through online or night school, and there are many universities and organizations that offer courses and training in this field. However, it's important to note that having a strong background in mathematics, physics, and computer programming will be key to mastering this field.

1. What is computational chemistry?

Computational chemistry is a branch of chemistry that uses computer simulations and mathematical models to study chemical systems and processes. It helps to understand the properties and behavior of molecules and materials at the atomic level.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a career in computational chemistry?

There are several benefits to pursuing a career in computational chemistry. It allows for a deeper understanding of chemical systems and processes, which can lead to the development of new materials and medicines. It also offers the opportunity to work with advanced technology and software, and there is a high demand for computational chemists in various industries.

3. What skills are needed to excel in computational chemistry?

To excel in computational chemistry, one needs to have a strong foundation in chemistry, mathematics, and computer science. Good analytical and problem-solving skills are also crucial. Proficiency in programming languages and experience with software used in computational chemistry, such as molecular modeling software, is also beneficial.

4. What are the job prospects for someone with a degree in computational chemistry?

The job prospects for someone with a degree in computational chemistry are quite promising. Many industries, including pharmaceuticals, materials science, and biotechnology, rely on computational chemistry for research and development. There are also opportunities in academia and government research labs.

5. How can I prepare for a career in computational chemistry?

To prepare for a career in computational chemistry, it is important to have a strong foundation in chemistry, mathematics, and computer science. Taking courses in programming and familiarizing oneself with software used in computational chemistry can also be beneficial. Pursuing internships or research opportunities in this field can provide valuable experience and help build a strong resume.