Chennai Floods: Impact and Response of Successive Droughts

• Thread starter chound
  • Start date
In summary, Chound's neighborhood was not flooded, but his school was. He is hopeful that Sunday's rain will cause the school to flood.
chound
I can't believe that my place has been flooded. After more than 5 yrs of successive droughts etc rain is lashing the city. In some roads the water is upto shoulder level and due to the flooding of rivers the athourities have been forced to open up various channels and thereby flooding the city.

Fortunately the only few places which haven't been flooded is my place.

I feel so sad that my area hasnt been flooded, the water is just ankle deep.
That too is not due to rain but due to flooding in other areas, the water travels through the storm water drains and since the drains are blocked, the water gushes out of the drainage and flooding our area.

But there is a silver lining: my school is in K.K.Nagar where its been flooded of 3 sides, the other side has very little water. The athourities have issued a flood warning to that place and they are probably evacuating that area.
Today I was to have my Bio pracs exam, that got canceled (We normally don't work on saturdays but due to heavy rains last week etc a few days the school didnt function so they keep school on Saturdays but most of the saturdays it rains and school is invariably cancelled)

The rain has stopped and I can see very few clouds now in the night( since its dark I may be mistaken)
I am hoping it will rain Sunday evening very badly and the specimens in the Bio lab are spoilt and the Physics lab apparatus (especially the young's modulus, parallellogram law of forces apparatus are spoilt) all get destroyed!
Though it does make me sad to think of the people who will be badly affected if it rains such, i realize that one must sacrifice something to get something else. So I will graciously sacrifice the lives of numerous people living near my school and pray that my school is flooded.:-p

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the situation is pretty bad here in Chennai. This is due to Cyclone Baaz (Now a tropical depression) which has brought heavy rains to the coast of Tamil Nadu, especially in the Chennai, Kancheepuram and Thiruvallur districts.

http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story.php?content_id=83180"

Most of the streets near my house are knee-deep in water, so it is a difficulty travelling.

chound said:
Fortunately the only few places which haven't been flooded is my place.
I feel so sad that my area hasnt been flooded, the water is just ankle deep.

Though it does make me sad to think of the people who will be badly affected if it rains such, i realize that one must sacrifice something to get something else. So I will graciously sacrifice the lives of numerous people living near my school and pray that my school is flooded.:-p
[\QUOTE]

If that was a joke, that was a bad one.
I do hope that relief reaches all those living in low lying areas and slums.

Attachments

• bridge.jpg
    bridge.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 425
  • stock.jpg
    stock.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 414
  • tidel.jpg
    tidel.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 455
Last edited by a moderator:
The skies have cleared. Too bad I was hoping it would rain so tomorrow school would be cancelled!

Wow, that sounds pretty bad. Isn't Chennai where Gokul went for his wedding too? (He should be hitched by now, right? I hope the rains didn't wash out his wedding. :frown:)

Chound, that sounds pretty selfish to be wishing for more rain just to avoid school when people are losing their homes! :bugeye:

I hope any damage was restricted to property and that there hasn't been any loss of life associated with it. Does anyone know?

Our street usually has water logging after heavy rains, but relativley not much damage in our side, thankfully. Hope the things reach where it's due.

Btw, chound, that wasn't a bad joke. That was a sick one, to say the least.

Moonbear said:
Wow, that sounds pretty bad. Isn't Chennai where Gokul went for his wedding too? (He should be hitched by now, right? I hope the rains didn't wash out his wedding. :frown:)

Chound, that sounds pretty selfish to be wishing for more rain just to avoid school when people are losing their homes! :bugeye:

I hope any damage was restricted to property and that there hasn't been any loss of life associated with it. Does anyone know?

Till now, I have not read any reports on loss of life, so that's a good thing. Yesterday about 75000 people were moved to relief centers. The state goverment's response is quite impressive.

Here is the full story

http://www.hindu.com/2005/12/05/stories/2005120511410100.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Chennai Floods: Impact and Response of Successive Droughts

1. What is causing the succession of droughts over the past 5 years?

The main cause of the succession of droughts over the past 5 years is a combination of natural climate variability and human-induced climate change. Natural climate variability can lead to periods of extended dryness, while human activities such as greenhouse gas emissions can exacerbate these conditions by altering the Earth's climate patterns.

2. How severe have these droughts been compared to previous years?

The severity of these droughts can vary depending on the location and specific metrics used to measure their intensity. However, studies have shown that these droughts have been more intense and longer-lasting compared to previous years, with some regions experiencing record-breaking levels of dryness.

3. What are the impacts of these droughts on the environment and society?

The impacts of these droughts on the environment and society can be far-reaching and devastating. Some of the common impacts include water scarcity, crop failures, wildfires, and damage to ecosystems. These can also have ripple effects on food and water security, economic stability, and human health.

4. How are scientists monitoring and predicting future droughts?

Scientists use a variety of methods to monitor and predict future droughts, including satellite data, ground-based measurements, and climate models. These tools allow us to track current drought conditions and make projections for future droughts, helping us to prepare and mitigate their impacts.

5. What can be done to mitigate the impacts of successive droughts?

Mitigating the impacts of successive droughts requires a multi-faceted approach that involves both adaptation and mitigation strategies. These can include improving water management and conservation, implementing drought-resistant agricultural practices, and reducing greenhouse gas emissions to slow the pace of climate change. It also requires collaboration and coordinated efforts from governments, communities, and individuals.