How do I confront a chess opponent who lied about their skill level?

• Thread starter Mentalist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chess
In summary, the conversation is about a person who is upset because they were beaten in a game of chess by someone who claimed to not have much knowledge or skill in the game. The person wants to call out the other player for lying, but is worried about the potential consequences. They also struggle with the idea of just forgetting about it and moving on. The conversation also includes some discussion about chess strategy and skill level. Ultimately, the person is looking for suggestions on how to get the other player to play them again so they can redeem their loss.
Andre said:
Yet overal, Pirc doesn't seem a good idea for black in the end, considering that you know the traps.
I used the Pirc as an offense. Black is flabbergasted when White wants to double fianchetto. It is hard to describe, but the situations that arise from that snarly opening can result in Black getting decimated. Got to be open to those situations, though.

Physics news on Phys.org
This guy, an amateur chess player, beat 9 chess world champions simultaneously using a sneaky trick :)
http://www.wimp.com/chessplayers/

That's very cool QP.

I don't know why I feel kind of embarrassed when people expect me to be good at chess just because I do physics. :shy:

Gad said:
I don't know why I feel kind of embarrassed when people expect me to be good at chess just because I do physics.

Don't be. No reason whatsover. Assuming that we have a normal healthy creative mind, somewhere short of genius, any advanced skill requires strong motivation for learning and practice, practice and more practice. Builing chess skills just requires the same motivation for years of learning and practice as math and physics do, as it does becoming a fighter pilot, in my opinion.

QuantumPion said:
This guy, an amateur chess player, beat 9 chess world champions simultaneously using a sneaky trick :)
http://www.wimp.com/chessplayers/

When I was watching his game, my mind was screaming "mirror games". Turns out I figured correctly.

As for the number of pieces left over, that's trickier. A switch definitely had to have been made, otherwise the only other possibility is collusion.

Curious3141 said:
When I was watching his game, my mind was screaming "mirror games". Turns out I figured correctly.

There was a Polish TV series shot in seventies called "Parade of cheaters" where one of the episodes was about a guy who played correspondence chess with two masters at the same time, so the idea was obvious for me from the very beginning.

Borek said:
There was a Polish TV series shot in seventies called "Parade of cheaters" where one of the episodes was about a guy who played correspondence chess with two masters at the same time, so the idea was obvious for me from the very beginning.

I had not actually heard of this technique, but when I saw the way he had arrayed the players, it clicked.

But I couldn't be sure as it seemed an obvious method with an obvious foil - force the challenger to answer the move before moving on to the next board, every time. I was amazed none of those chess "geniuses" thought of that when they knew they'd be playing a professional mentalist.

Last edited:
Curious3141 said:

As for the number of pieces left over, that's trickier. A switch definitely had to have been made, otherwise the only other possibility is collusion.
His claim never to have touched the paper after it was placed in the envelope would carry more weight with me if he hadn't touched the paper after it was placed in the envelope.

Last edited:
I have an idea. Members here could sign up at one of the free chess sites and then post their member names if they wanted to play against other PF members. (My ranking on chesshotel.com is currently 1760, btw.)

I never underestimate my opponent in chess ,even if i play against a 10 year old

Mentalist said:
But like I was saying above, when facing someone who is new to the game, you don't want to play your absolute best. That wouldn't be fair to the person trying to learn to play. I am more fair and honest than I am a guy that demolishes and starts saying, "you lose!" That would not be right in my opinion.
Mentalist said:
I also want to be fair...

if you want to be fair then you should give your best and crush your opponent so that he/she will know what chess really is, by going easy you are actually deceiving him/her by letting them think that they are good or that chess is easy. You don't have to say "YOU LOSE AND I WIN ",just say that "you can do better next time".

micromass said:
It's just a game... Don't get all upset because of a game...

Chess is serious stuff.