How can we increase visibility of the chess forum on the main PF page?

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter Pattonias
  • Start date
In summary, the chess forum might be easier to find if it had a link on the main PF page. It is possible to make a new feature that allows members to subscribe to threads and subforums, but it is not possible to unsubscribe from threads.
Pattonias
I was just wondering if we could get any kind of link to the chess forum from the main PF page. The first few days I actually couldn't remember what links I had to go through to find it.

Physics news on Phys.org
have you tried an NP sacrifice?

Hi Pattonias! :smile:

I think every time you move, the server also moves.

Perhaps we should be able to set the level of difficulty, eg P or NP ? :wink:

:tongue2:

Pattonias said:
I was just wondering if we could get any kind of link to the chess forum from the main PF page. The first few days I actually couldn't remember what links I had to go through to find it.

Why not simply bookmark the Chess subforum, if it is of special interest to you?

Otherwise, it would be only fair to have links to all subforums on the PF main page. Not sure if Greg would want to do that, though he might.

I have an idea!

Why not make a new feature that enables each member to stick a number of subforums [or threads] that s/he’s interested in, in her/his profile!

Not sure if it’s possible though...

drizzle said:
I have an idea!

Why not make a new feature that enables each member to stick a number of subforums [or threads] that s/he’s interested in, in her/his profile!

Could just bookmark the links. Might be faster.

Edit: Oh, I see Redbelly98 already suggested that.

Last edited:
drizzle said:
I have an idea!

You can subscribe to threads and subforums. Clicking on "My PF" then shows subscribed threads with the most recent activity, and subscribed subforums.

Redbelly98 said:
You can subscribe to threads and subforums. Clicking on "My PF" then shows subscribed threads with the most recent activity, and subscribed subforums.

IF I deleted the subscribed threads, I won’t receive any email notification of new replies in any of these threads that I’ve posted in, right?

If you unsubscribe from a thread (is that what you mean when you say deleted?), you won't receive email notification of new replies in it.

Or you can also subscribe without receiving email notification, and threads with recent replies will still show up if you click on "My PF".

Redbelly98 said:
If you unsubscribe from a thread (is that what you mean when you say deleted?), you won't receive email notification of new replies in it.

Or you can also subscribe without receiving email notification, and threads with recent replies will still show up if you click on "My PF".

Actually, there’s a delete option for the selected threads, just scroll down the page [on the right]. Never mind though, I just missed up the whole thing :biggrin:

That option is to delete the subscription, not the thread. (If we are looking at the same thing.)

It really isn't a problem that I find it myself, I think that most people don't know you have a chess forum. I appreciate the discussion. I think it is kind of a cool feature of PF and it is a sub-subforum. You don't see that it exists unless you kind of stumble across it.

1. What does "Chess is very well hidden." mean?

"Chess is very well hidden." is a phrase commonly used to describe the complexity and depth of the game of chess. It suggests that there is much more to the game than meets the eye, and that its intricacies are not immediately apparent.

2. Why is chess considered a hidden game?

Chess is considered a hidden game because it requires a great deal of strategy, critical thinking, and planning in order to be successful. The true complexity and depth of the game is not readily apparent to casual observers, making it a game that is often underestimated or overlooked.

3. How can one improve at playing "Chess is very well hidden."?

Improvement in chess requires practice, study, and a deep understanding of the game's principles and strategies. It is important to analyze past games and learn from mistakes, as well as to study the techniques and tactics of experienced players. Regularly playing against opponents of varying skill levels can also help to improve one's game.

4. What makes "Chess is very well hidden." a popular game?

The popularity of chess can be attributed to its challenging nature and the mental stimulation it provides. It is also a game with a rich history and cultural significance, and is enjoyed by people of all ages and backgrounds. Additionally, its relatively simple rules and endless possibilities make it a game that can be played and enjoyed by anyone.

5. Is "Chess is very well hidden." only for highly intelligent people?

No, chess is a game that can be played and enjoyed by anyone, regardless of intelligence. While it does require a certain level of critical thinking and strategic planning, these skills can be developed through practice and study. People of all ages and backgrounds can learn and excel at chess with dedication and effort.