Child on swing (rotational motion, forces) question

In summary, a high school buddy exerts a horizontal force on a swing to keep it stationary. The forces acting on the child are its weight and the reaction force from the seat. The tension in the rope can be calculated using the formula T = mgcosθ. When the buddy releases the swing, the tension in the rope is still equal to mgcosθ as the swing is instantaneously at rest. However, as the swing passes through its lowest point, the tension can be calculated using the formula T = (m * v^2 / r) + mg, where v is the velocity of the swing and r is the length of the rope.
anewera

Homework Statement

A high school buddy exerts a horizontal force on a swing that is suspended by a rope that is 5.0 meters long, holding at an angle of 30 degrees with the vertical. The child in the swing has a mass of 30kg and dimensions that are negligible compared to the length of the swing. The mass of the rope and the seat are negligible.
a) What are the forces acting on the child?
b) Calculate the tension in the rope, in Newtons.
c) Calculate the horizontal force exerted by the high school buddy in N

The buddy now releases the swing from rest
d) Calculate the tension in the rope just after the release (the swing is instantaneously at rest) in N.
e) Calculate the tension in the rope as the swing passes through its lowest point in N.

Homework Equations

T = (m * v^2 / r) + mg
F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Well there's no friction and since it's stationary, I don't think there should be a centripetal force but there's Weight...and a Normal force?

b)I was thinking T = mg cos(theta) but then I realized it's not just the rope that is supporting all the weight of the child. The buddy is keeping the swing from moving forward...so that throws me off.

c) I really don't know how to do this, mg would only make sense if there was just a downward vector so now I'm confused.

d) So now that the child isn't holding it I'm guessing the tension is mg cos (theta).

e) T = (m * v^2 / r) + mg, plug in and solve should work?

Thanks in advance...more than half the other class failed the test for rotational motion and I really want to know how to do these harder questions...

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi anewera ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
anewera said:
a) Well there's no friction and since it's stationary, I don't think there should be a centripetal force but there's Weight...and a Normal force?

This is badly-worded question. :frown:

Yes, on the wording given, your answer is correct … the only two forces on the child are its weight, and the reaction force from the seat.

But I suspect your teacher wants answers as if the question was about the forces on the seat. :rolleyes:
b)I was thinking T = mg cos(theta) but then I realized it's not just the rope that is supporting all the weight of the child. The buddy is keeping the swing from moving forward...so that throws me off.
c) I really don't know how to do this, mg would only make sense if there was just a downward vector so now I'm confused.

Either do a vector triangle, or do components in a suitable direction.
d) So now that the child isn't holding it I'm guessing the tension is mg cos (theta).

Do F = ma, but this time a is not zero, is it? :wink:

Hi, thanks for replying(, and just in time too, it's almost midnight over here).

AP Exams apparently usually have some questions with bad wording (that's where my teacher got this question). "Why isn't this not true?" haha.

Well I pretty much solved for the horizontal force and then the tension with the little nudge you gave me in the right direction.

I thought about part e and use conservation of energy, and then used the tension formula for rotational motion and it turned out to be really easy.

For part d though, you said to use F=ma but since the swing has just been released and instantaneously is at rest, when they ask for the tension, shouldn't it just be mgcos(theta)?...since the rope is all that's supporting the child now...

Hi anewera! :smile:

(have a theta: θ :wink:)
anewera said:
For part d though, you said to use F=ma but since the swing has just been released and instantaneously is at rest, when they ask for the tension, shouldn't it just be mgcos(theta)?...since the rope is all that's supporting the child now...

Yes, i wasn't thinking it through to the end :redface:

a is non-zero, but it's entirely tangential, so of course it won't affect the tension. :rolleyes:

Yes, with nobody pushing, the radial acceleration is zero (because the angular velocity is still zero), and so the radial components add to zero, giving T = mgcosθ. :smile:

1. What forces are acting on the child on a swing?

The main forces acting on the child on a swing are gravity, tension in the swing ropes, and air resistance. Gravity pulls the child downwards towards the center of the Earth, while the tension in the swing ropes provides the centripetal force needed to keep the child moving in a circular motion. Air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the child's motion, slowing them down.

2. How does the swing's rotational motion work?

The swing's rotational motion is created by the combination of the child's weight and the tension in the swing ropes. As the child's weight pulls them downwards, the ropes provide an opposing force that redirects the child's motion into a circular path. This rotational motion continues as long as the child keeps swinging.

3. Why does the swing go higher when the child pumps their legs?

When the child pumps their legs while on the swing, they are applying an external force to the swing. This force increases the tension in the swing ropes, allowing the child to go higher. Additionally, the pumping motion increases the child's speed, creating more momentum and increasing the height of their swing.

4. What factors affect the child's speed on the swing?

The child's weight, the tension in the swing ropes, and air resistance are the main factors that affect the child's speed on the swing. A heavier child will have a slower speed, while a lighter child will swing faster. The tension in the swing ropes also plays a role, as a higher tension will result in a faster swing. Air resistance can also affect the child's speed, with more resistance slowing the swing down.

5. How is energy transferred in a child on a swing?

In a child on a swing, energy is transferred between potential and kinetic energy. When the child is at the highest point of their swing, they have the most potential energy. As they swing downwards, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion. As the child reaches the bottom of their swing, their kinetic energy is then converted back into potential energy as they start to rise again.