What are the formulas for finding angular and linear speed on a merry-go-round?

• Thread starter eagles12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Children
In summary, we have two children riding on a merry-go-round with one child 2.0m from the axis of rotation and the other child 1.5m from the axis. With the merry-go-round completing one revolution every 4.1s, we can find the angular speed and linear speed of each child using the equations w=Δθ/Δt and T=2∏/w. Mass is not a factor in this calculation, as it only factors in when finding force.
eagles12

Homework Statement

Two children ride on the merry-go-round. Child 1 is 2.0m from the axis of rotation, and child 2 is 1.5m from the axis. If the merry go round completes one revolution every 4.1s, find the angular speed and the linear speed of each child.

Homework Equations

w=Δθ/Δt
T=2∏/w

The Attempt at a Solution

a=v^2/r
a=v^2/2

a=v^2/1.5

Physics news on Phys.org
hi eagles12! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
eagles12 said:
Two children ride on the merry-go-round. Child 1 is 2.0m from the axis of rotation, and child 2 is 1.5m from the axis. If the merry go round completes one revolution every 4.1s, find the angular speed and the linear speed of each child.

a=v^2/r

yes, that's the acceleration

but the question asks only for ω and v :wink:

im a little confused on how to find θ

eagles12 said:
… If the merry go round completes one revolution every 4.1s …

so θ = one revolution = 2π :smile:

so I do w=2π/(1/4.1) and I got 25.76 but that is incorrect

is the angular speed for each kid the same? I am not sure how the mass factors in, or is that just factored into the linear velocity?

hi eagles12! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
eagles12 said:
so I do w=2π/(1/4.1) and I got 25.76 but that is incorrect

ω is (angular) speed, so it's (angular) distance over time …

in this case 2π/4.1 :biggrin:
eagles12 said:
is the angular speed for each kid the same? I am not sure how the mass factors in, or is that just factored into the linear velocity?

yes ω is the same for the whole of a rigid body, and for anything attached to it (like the kids)

mass is irrelevant, mass is physics

finding the angular or linear velocity from the time and angle etc is just geometry (maths) …

you won't need the mass until you start finding the force :wink:

What is a "Merry go Round"?

A "Merry go Round" is a type of amusement ride typically found in playgrounds or amusement parks. It consists of a rotating platform with seats or animal figures for children to sit on and go around in a circular motion.

How do children ride a "Merry go Round"?

Children can ride a "Merry go Round" by sitting on one of the seats or animal figures and holding onto the bars or handholds. As the ride begins to rotate, they can enjoy the circular motion and the feeling of being lifted up and down.

What is the purpose of a "Merry go Round"?

The purpose of a "Merry go Round" is to provide entertainment and enjoyment for children. It can also help develop coordination, balance, and spatial awareness as the children hold onto the ride and adjust to the circular motion.

Are there any safety precautions for children riding a "Merry go Round"?

Yes, it is important for children to follow safety guidelines while riding a "Merry go Round". This includes sitting properly on the ride, holding onto the bars or handholds, and not standing or leaning too far out. It is also recommended for adults to supervise young children on the ride.

Are there any benefits of children riding a "Merry go Round"?

Aside from the entertainment factor, riding a "Merry go Round" can have physical and cognitive benefits for children. It can help improve balance, coordination, and spatial awareness. It can also provide sensory stimulation and encourage social interaction with other children.