Mnemonics for Math, Chemistry and Physics

In summary, mnemonics are effective tools for remembering details in academic subjects such as math, physics, chemistry, and biology. Examples include SOH CAH TOA and CHO SHA CAO for trigonometric functions, NOD for remembering the numerator over denominator in fractions, and OBAFGKMN for stellar spectral classes. Other mnemonics mentioned are Sc-Ti-V-Cr-Mn-F-Co-Ni-Cu-Zn for transition metals and PMAT for the stages of cell division in biology. Some may be more popular than others, but all serve the purpose of aiding memory.
BogMonkey
I often have trouble remembering little details of things and using mnemonics solved that problem completely. I only started using these tricks recently and its resulted in me permanently remembering details which I used to have to look up every time. Heres the ones I use
SOH CAH TOA - You probably all know that one
CHO SHA CAO - The same as the one above but for csc, sec and cot.
NOD - Numerator over denominator. I forgot that one about a thousand times before I decided to just remember the word NOD.

Can you list any highly useful mnemonics you use for remembering details in maths, physics, chemistry etc.

Physics news on Phys.org

Can't say I've encountered more than a couple mnemonics in my academic history, one of which you've already mentioned.

If you study Astrophysics, chances are you might already be familiar with "Oh Be A Fine Girl (Kiss Me Now)" -> OBAFGKMN, which orders stellar spectral classes from highest energy to lowest.

My Personal favorite would be "Fluorinasaurus Rex and Francium always surrenders," referring to electro negativity trends.

One of my professors said he had to memorize "Sc-Ti-V-Cr-Mn-F-Co-Ni-Cu-Zn" for the transition metals while attending graduate school. He pronounces it very quickly, as if it were a single word.

Well for remembering which trigonometric functions were positive in the unit circle, I made up, Andy Sucks Tiny Cock, when I was 14.. But I suppose that one will never have mass appeal..

thayes93 said:
Well for remembering which trigonometric functions were positive in the unit circle, I made up, Andy Sucks Tiny Cock, when I was 14.. But I suppose that one will never have mass appeal..

Haha its easy to remember I suppose. Another one I came up with for biology is PMAT - Prophase, metaphase, anaphase, telophase. Interphase and prometaphase I remember naturally.

1. What is a mnemonic?

A mnemonic is a memory aid or technique that helps individuals remember information more easily. Mnemonics are often used in subjects like math, chemistry, and physics to remember complex formulas, equations, or concepts.

2. How can mnemonics help with studying math, chemistry, and physics?

Mnemonics can help by providing a visual or verbal cue that helps individuals remember information more effectively. For example, a mnemonic for remembering the order of operations in math is "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally" (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, Addition and Subtraction). This helps students remember the correct order to solve equations.

3. Are there different types of mnemonics for math, chemistry, and physics?

Yes, there are various types of mnemonics that can be used for these subjects. Some common types include acronyms (using the first letter of each word in a phrase to create a new word), imagery (using visual cues to remember information), and rhymes or songs.

4. How do I create my own mnemonic for a specific concept?

To create your own mnemonic, start by identifying the key information you want to remember. Then, think of a word, phrase, or image that can represent that information. You can also try using the first letter of each word in a phrase to create an acronym. Practice using your mnemonic until it becomes second nature.

5. Can mnemonics be used for all levels of math, chemistry, and physics?

Yes, mnemonics can be used for all levels of these subjects, from basic concepts to more advanced formulas and equations. They can be especially helpful for students who struggle with memorization or have difficulty understanding complex concepts.