Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cho sha cao

1. Jan 11, 2010 #1
    I often have trouble remembering little details of things and using mnemonics solved that problem completely. I only started using these tricks recently and its resulted in me permanently remembering details which I used to have to look up every time. Heres the ones I use
    SOH CAH TOA - You probably all know that one
    CHO SHA CAO - The same as the one above but for csc, sec and cot.
    NOD - Numerator over denominator. I forgot that one about a thousand times before I decided to just remember the word NOD.

Can you list any highly useful mnemonics you use for remembering details in maths, physics, chemistry etc.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2010 #2
    Re: Mnemonics

Can't say I've encountered more than a couple mnemonics in my academic history, one of which you've already mentioned.

If you study Astrophysics, chances are you might already be familiar with "Oh Be A Fine Girl (Kiss Me Now)" -> OBAFGKMN, which orders stellar spectral classes from highest energy to lowest.

4. Jan 12, 2010 #3

My Personal favorite would be "Fluorinasaurus Rex and Francium always surrenders," referring to electro negativity trends.

One of my professors said he had to memorize "Sc-Ti-V-Cr-Mn-F-Co-Ni-Cu-Zn" for the transition metals while attending graduate school. He pronounces it very quickly, as if it were a single word.

5. Jan 14, 2010 #4

Well for remembering which trigonometric functions were positive in the unit circle, I made up, Andy Sucks Tiny Cock, when I was 14.. But I suppose that one will never have mass appeal..

6. Jan 15, 2010 #5

Haha its easy to remember I suppose. Another one I came up with for biology is PMAT - Prophase, metaphase, anaphase, telophase. Interphase and prometaphase I remember naturally.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook