1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cho sha cao

1. Jan 11, 2010 #1
    I often have trouble remembering little details of things and using mnemonics solved that problem completely. I only started using these tricks recently and its resulted in me permanently remembering details which I used to have to look up every time. Heres the ones I use
    SOH CAH TOA - You probably all know that one
    CHO SHA CAO - The same as the one above but for csc, sec and cot.
    NOD - Numerator over denominator. I forgot that one about a thousand times before I decided to just remember the word NOD.

Can you list any highly useful mnemonics you use for remembering details in maths, physics, chemistry etc.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2010 #2
    Re: Mnemonics

Can't say I've encountered more than a couple mnemonics in my academic history, one of which you've already mentioned.

If you study Astrophysics, chances are you might already be familiar with "Oh Be A Fine Girl (Kiss Me Now)" -> OBAFGKMN, which orders stellar spectral classes from highest energy to lowest.

4. Jan 12, 2010 #3

My Personal favorite would be "Fluorinasaurus Rex and Francium always surrenders," referring to electro negativity trends.

One of my professors said he had to memorize "Sc-Ti-V-Cr-Mn-F-Co-Ni-Cu-Zn" for the transition metals while attending graduate school. He pronounces it very quickly, as if it were a single word.

5. Jan 14, 2010 #4

Well for remembering which trigonometric functions were positive in the unit circle, I made up, Andy Sucks Tiny Cock, when I was 14.. But I suppose that one will never have mass appeal..

6. Jan 15, 2010 #5

Haha its easy to remember I suppose. Another one I came up with for biology is PMAT - Prophase, metaphase, anaphase, telophase. Interphase and prometaphase I remember naturally.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook