1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cholesky Decomposition

1. Mar 6, 2009 #1
    I'm supposed to prove this step as part of my proof for existence of Cholesky Decomposition. I can see how to use it in my proof, but I can't seem to be able to prove this lemma:

For any positive (nxn) matrix [tex]A[/tex] and any non-singular (nxn) matrix [tex]X[/tex], prove that

[tex]B=X^{\dagger}A X[/tex]

is positive.

____

Let [tex]X=\left(x_{1}, x_{2}, \ldots, x_{n}\right)[/tex], where all xi are n-vectors.

I see that
    [tex] b_{i,j}=x_{i}^{\dagger}Ax_{j}[/tex],
    and thus all of the diagonal elements of B are positive (from the definition of a positive matrix).

But where do I go from there?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2009 #2
    I think you mean http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive-definite_matrix" [Broken].

In that case, you cannot conclude that the diagonal elements of B are positive.
    Try to show instead directly that [tex]v^TBv>0[/tex] for [tex]v\neq 0[/tex] (this is a one-liner), then B is positive definite by definition.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Mar 6, 2009 #3
    Dur! Yeah, i meant positive definite.

I see it now. It's so easy....

For arbitrary vector [tex]v[/tex], let [tex]z = Xv[/tex], and thus [tex]z^{\dagger}=v^{\dagger}X^{\dagger}[/tex].

So [tex]v^{\dagger}Bv=v^{\dagger}X^{\dagger}AXv=z^{\dagger}Az>0[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook