Proving the Existence of Cholesky Decomposition: Lemma on Positive Matrices

In summary, to prove the existence of Cholesky Decomposition, we need to prove that for any positive (nxn) matrix A and any non-singular (nxn) matrix X, B=X^{\dagger}A X is positive. To do so, we can show that v^{\dagger}Bv>0 for arbitrary non-zero vector v, which can be simplified to z^{\dagger}Az>0 by substituting z=Xv.
Doom of Doom
I'm supposed to prove this step as part of my proof for existence of Cholesky Decomposition. I can see how to use it in my proof, but I can't seem to be able to prove this lemma:

For any positive (nxn) matrix [tex]A[/tex] and any non-singular (nxn) matrix [tex]X[/tex], prove that

[tex]B=X^{\dagger}A X[/tex]

is positive.

____

Let [tex]X=\left(x_{1}, x_{2}, \ldots, x_{n}\right)[/tex], where all xi are n-vectors.

I see that
[tex] b_{i,j}=x_{i}^{\dagger}Ax_{j}[/tex],
and thus all of the diagonal elements of B are positive (from the definition of a positive matrix).

But where do I go from there?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you mean http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive-definite_matrix" .

In that case, you cannot conclude that the diagonal elements of B are positive.
Try to show instead directly that [tex]v^TBv>0[/tex] for [tex]v\neq 0[/tex] (this is a one-liner), then B is positive definite by definition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dur! Yeah, i meant positive definite.

I see it now. It's so easy...

For arbitrary vector [tex]v[/tex], let [tex]z = Xv[/tex], and thus [tex]z^{\dagger}=v^{\dagger}X^{\dagger}[/tex].

So [tex]v^{\dagger}Bv=v^{\dagger}X^{\dagger}AXv=z^{\dagger}Az>0[/tex].

1. What is Cholesky Decomposition?

Cholesky Decomposition is a mathematical method for decomposing a symmetric positive definite matrix into the product of a lower triangular matrix and its transpose.

2. What is the purpose of Cholesky Decomposition?

Cholesky Decomposition is used to simplify the solving of linear equations, particularly in the field of statistics. It is useful for finding the inverse of a matrix, as well as for generating correlated random numbers.

3. How is Cholesky Decomposition different from other matrix decompositions?

Unlike other matrix decompositions, Cholesky Decomposition only works for symmetric positive definite matrices. It also produces a unique decomposition, unlike other methods which can have multiple solutions.

4. What are the advantages of using Cholesky Decomposition?

Cholesky Decomposition is much faster than other matrix decomposition methods, making it efficient for large matrices. It also maintains the positive definite property of the original matrix, which is important in certain applications such as covariance matrices.

5. Are there any limitations to using Cholesky Decomposition?

Yes, Cholesky Decomposition can only be applied to symmetric positive definite matrices. It also may not always be stable for matrices with very small or very large eigenvalues.