1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Choosing the order of integration with double integration

1. Jan 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Sketch the regions of integration, and evaluate the integral by choosing the best order of integration.
    [tex]\int^{2\sqrt{ln2}}_{0}\int^{\sqrt{ln2}}_{y/2}exp(x^2)dxdy[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    integration by parts

3. The attempt at a solution
    ive changed the order of integration and done the inner integral with respect to y to get this far..
    [tex]\int^{\sqrt{ln2}}_{y/2}\int^{2\sqrt{ln2}}_{0}exp(x^2)dydx=\sqrt{ln2}\int^{2\sqrt{ln2}}_{y/2}exp(x^2)dx[/tex]

and now when i do a u substitution
    [tex]u=x^2[/tex]
    [tex]du=2xdx[/tex]
    and that is how far i can get as i can't put the 'du' into the equation as it has a '2x' in it and i will be integrating with respect to 'u'. Integrating it the original way round just gets me to this problem straight away.

I just can't see any way of getting rid of the 2x?!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

If you change the order by which you integrate, the limits will change. You need to find the new limits.

Also ∫ex2dx does not exist in terms of elementary functions.

4. Jan 6, 2010 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Make sure you sketch the region of integration, as step that many students skip, believing it to be unimportant.

5. Jan 6, 2010 #4
    that seems so obvious now but you wouldn't believe how long ive been looking at it, the 'cancelling 2x' comes from when you change the limits. thanks guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook