Choosing the Right Textbooks for Physics Students

In summary, these are some books that I would recommend for someone who wants to learn about mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.
decerto
Hi,

I recently got some money and I wanted to pick up some textbooks that are worth the ridiculous prices that they go for.
So I was thinking of getting;

Mechanics - Landau (Debated Goldstein but the reviews for Landau won me over and I find that even though Goldstein is more dense, it isn't any more illuminating)

E&M - Griffiths (Honestly have no experience with the author but he gets praise all the time on various physics forums etc.)

QM - Griffiths ( Same Reason)

Optics - Hecht (This one I'm least sure of, it was personally recommended to me, but I saw that the author has a 'schaums outline' book on the same subject that some people were recommending over the textbook?)

Thermal Physics - Schroeder (There was a few I was looking at, Finn was another, not sure about this one that much either).

With regards the courses themselves I have done/am/will be doing courses this year that cover a large part of these books. Also I'm not sure about the Optics/E&M overlap so advice on that as well as the books themselves would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Griffiths' electrodynamics text is seriously one of the best physics textbooks ever. You won't regret buying it.

I agree that Griffith's EM book is great and it is worth owning an edition of it. I have the 1st edition and it is really really good. I have worn it out - the binding is now broken. I may break down and pick up a used 2nd edition at some point (that was the "new" edition when I was in college).

Schroeder is really good at explaining thermal physics - I recommend even if it isn't your textbook. Plus it is reasonably priced.

If these are not books that are required for your classes, I recommend used copies of old editions (for those that have old editions) as they can be much less expensive and usually mostly the same as the new version.jason

I would recommend doing some research on the textbooks before making a purchase. Look for reviews from other students or professionals in the field to get an idea of the quality and usefulness of the book. It's also important to consider the level of difficulty and your own learning style when choosing a textbook. Some books may be more dense and challenging, but may provide a deeper understanding of the subject, while others may be more accessible but may not cover all the necessary material.

In terms of your specific choices, Landau's Mechanics is a classic and highly regarded text, so it's a good choice. Griffiths is also a well-respected author in the field of E&M and QM, so those would also be good options. As for the overlap between Optics and E&M, it's important to note that E&M is a broader subject that includes optics as a specific subset. So while there may be some overlap, studying both can provide a more comprehensive understanding of the subject.

Overall, my advice would be to carefully consider your options, do some research, and choose textbooks that align with your learning style and level of difficulty. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Choosing the Right Textbooks for Physics Students

What are the best places to buy textbooks?

There are several options for buying textbooks, including campus bookstores, online retailers, and used bookstores. It's always a good idea to compare prices and look for deals to get the best value.

Should I buy new or used textbooks?

This depends on your personal preference and budget. New textbooks may be more expensive, but they are often in better condition and may come with access codes for online resources. Used textbooks can be significantly cheaper, but they may have highlighting or notes from previous owners.

Is it better to rent or buy textbooks?

Again, this depends on your individual situation. Renting textbooks can be a cost-effective option, especially if you don't plan on keeping the textbook after the course ends. However, if you think you'll need the textbook for future reference, buying may be a better choice.

When is the best time to buy textbooks?

The best time to buy textbooks is usually before the start of the semester. This allows you to get the books you need before they sell out and also gives you time to compare prices and look for deals.

What should I do with textbooks after the course ends?

You can sell your textbooks back to the campus bookstore or online retailers, or you can keep them for future reference. Some students also choose to donate their textbooks to libraries or other students in need.