Christmas Presents: See What Everyone Got!

• Thread starter NeoDevin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Christmas
In summary, the conversation revolved around what each person received for Christmas. Some highlights include a Christmas dinner with an 81 year-old father, a DVD set of "Robin of Sherwood", a pair of Oakleys, a knife sharpener, and PF contributor status. Others shared their experiences with family, gifts, and their thoughts on the holiday season. Despite some sad moments, the overall tone was one of love and appreciation.
I received an abacus from my parents - actually, it's the abacus we had back when I was a kid, so that was a pretty cool present.

I got a picture book of the family reunion last fall. I was incredibly impressed by the job my sister and her husband did on that book. Besides covering the reunion, the back part of the book was kind of a family scrap book section. It started with my parents wedding and pictures of us kids growing up, plus everyone had their own scrap book page with their kids, and so on.

I also got a coffee grinder, bookshelf, and books.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mk said:
I got some potassium chlorate and a camcorder :smile:
Please stay well away from Gummy bears!

Last edited by a moderator:
A burr grinder for my coffee and two hours of playing on my kids new Wii with my better-half...(she kicked my butt bowling and we were pretty even paying golf).

you guys actually got christmas GIFTS?

i received absolutely nothing, since my family sees christmas as just another day. on the bad news, we found out my dad probably has cancer 2 days before christmas:frown:

Last edited:
plane ticket out to san diego (I'm from PA)

proton said:
i received absolutely nothing, since my family sees christmas as just another day. on the bad news, we found out my dad probably has cancer 2 days before christmas:frown:
I'm terribly sorry to hear that proton, I will hope for the best for him and your family.

Evo said:
You're the only one that has told me that they love me today.

Good point. I know that I don't say it enough Evo... but the fact is that I don't really know you at all outside of PF. I sincerely believe that I would love you if I got to know you as a real person rather than a net personality, but one has to have filters in place. Going stricly by what I know of you from this site, I love you as a person (albeit a really hot person)... but mainly for your personality. That's for W's benefit.

Where the hell were you when I was single?!

We all love Evo. We thought she knew. :smile:

Oh, as to the original question of this thread...
I don't celebrate (being a semi-militant atheist), but I still have to participate due to sociatal pressures.
W gave me a new warm-up jacket, a pocket Soduko game, a new shirt and pants (for her staff party, so that's a pre-present), a full grooming set including hair clippers, an electric razor, a new Spinbrush Pro, and a set of Stetson afteshave, body spray & cologne, and a portable DVD player.
That worked in very well with my boss giving me Season 3 of 'Lost'. She gave me Seasons 1 and 2 last year, because she knows that I love the show but quit trying to watch it because I missed too much. She also gave me $500 in cash, which is pretty much a week's pay. I'm going to try to give that back, because I certainly don't deserve it.
From my side, I gave W a little silver chain (swappable for gold) to fit her little cross (aaaanhhhhiiiiiiieeeee...). And a command start for her new car.
She has one present in reserve that she doesn't know about. Well, she knows that there's one pending, but she doesn't know what it is. If she really, really, wants it, rather than it just being a passing fancy, I'll buy her a puppy. The only conditions are that it has to come from the local pound, it has to be small at full growth, she has to take care of it, and Lucy has to approve.

Last edited:
Kurdt said:
We all love Evo. We thought she knew. :smile:
<sniff> I needed that. I love all of you too. :cry:

You're all invited over for fruitcake. Don't worry, my fruitcake doesn't have the yucky stuff in it. As someone that sampled it to be polite exclaimed "OMG, this is actually good! I hate fruitcake!". :biggrin:

"a full grooming set including hair clippers, an electric razor"-Danger
Well from your pic looks like that fits the bill perfectly! Ha ha

Evo said:
<sniff> I needed that. I love all of you too. :cry:

You're all invited over for fruitcake. Don't worry, my fruitcake doesn't have the yucky stuff in it. As someone that sampled it to be polite exclaimed "OMG, this is actually good! I hate fruitcake!". :biggrin:

Yey I love fruitcake.

binzing said:
"a full grooming set including hair clippers, an electric razor"-Danger
Well from your pic looks like that fits the bill perfectly! Ha ha

Yeah, but she didn't realize that I have industrial-stength hair...

socks...

you know you are old when you put on your new pair of socks, and drool.

OmCheeto said:
you know you are old when you put on your new pair of socks, and drool.

You're supposed to put them on your feet... :rolleyes:

Danger said:
You're supposed to put them on your feet... :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

I also got one of those yoyo looking 20 question devices.
After it correctly guessed 'naked mole rat' and 'quasar', I thought to myself; "Crap. I can't fool this thing!"
But it guessed that too; "You're thinking of faeces"

grrrrrrrr...

Last edited:
I'll just keep reminding myself that it's better to give than to receive. :rolleyes: I got to spend 4 days with my 4-year old nephew (and am SO glad to be home again...he's a joy to be around, but because I only visit infrequently, Aunt Moonbear is the only one he wants to play with him when I'm there). I got a decent pork rib roast for dinner...which my brother-in-law declared was so tender and moist (he did the cooking)...I have to wonder if he's ever had a tender and moist cut of meat (I believe very strongly there is a good reason he no longer works as a chef in spite of all the excuses he makes). Hmm...for presents, I got a pair of pajamas from my nephew (still wondering why I got short-sleeved pajamas for Christmas), and a cashmere sweater that's 2 sizes too big and has some weird poofy sleeves (I'm hoping I can shrink it into something that fits, otherwise, it's getting substituted for the short-sleeved top for the pajamas). Undoubtedly, my sister found both on some clearance sale...she's weird like that, will buy something because it's on sale, not because it actually makes sense to buy. Oh, and for some reason still unclear to me, I got a gift certificate to a convenience store only found in NJ, so I gave that back to my sister explaining there was no point in me taking it because I could never use it. Who buys gift certificates to convenience stores? :confused:

But, it made packing up the car very easy.

The parents and my grandmother figured out that cash is best, though they really shouldn't be giving me anything...they need it for themselves.

So, yeah, next year I'm going to strongly suggest everyone just give donations to their favorite charities in my name rather than give me gifts I have no use for.

Evo said:
I'm terribly sorry to hear that proton, I will hope for the best for him and your family.

thanks alot.

Evo said:
That's the sign of a great chef!

Danger said:
a full grooming set including hair clippers, an electric razor, . . . , and a set of Stetson afteshave, body spray & cologne, . . . .
:smile: I don't go near that kind of stuff. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I received some decent sentimetal stuff. A calendar of places which i have visited in germany, a towl that has 'Deutschland 2007' at the top and my name written down the bottom and a LAMY pen which I think is a german brand (donno only seen them in germany) with my name engraved.

I found christmas rather formal in germany, where as in Australia is a lot more relaxed and chilled kind of environment. And if i have to say it the only thing I do miss from Australia would have to be christmas and because of that very reason. Sorry that kind of went off topic, but I guess being in Germany for christmas is another present to my list :) (invaluable experience).

Frohe Weihnachten.

whitay said:
I found christmas rather formal in germany, where as in Australia is a lot more relaxed and chilled kind of environment. And if i have to say it the only thing I do miss from Australia would have to be christmas and because of that very reason. Sorry that kind of went off topic, but I guess being in Germany for christmas is another present to my list :) (invaluable experience).

Frohe Weihnachten.

I find Christmas in the northern hemisphere more formal too, although it feels more exciting as it stands out and cheers along the winter. Mulled wine makes much more sense, too. And the experience is a gift to me too, however, it is also nice to have a swim and maybe beach cricket after feasting, followed by the Boxing Day test in the background.
I hope everyone here had a happy day.