What was the significance of Lecompton, Kansas as the territorial capital?

• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involved a person going to a museum in Lecompton, Kansas to see a Christmas tree exhibit and being given a reprint of The New York Times Newspaper. The conversation also included confusion about the purpose of the reprint and the person expressing their lack of understanding regarding its presentation. The conversation ended with an apology and the discussion being concluded.
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I went to the museum in Lecompton, Kansas today to see their Christmas tree exhibit and was given this reprint of The New York Times Newspaper:
Front:
front (November 23, 2012):
small IMG_3735.jpg

back (February 20,1858):
small IMG_3734.jpg

Attachments

• small IMG_3735.jpg
    small IMG_3735.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 55
  • small IMG_3735.jpg
    small IMG_3735.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 57
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure what I'm looking at.

DaveC426913 said:
It's a reprint of The New York Times Newspaper

DaveC426913 said:
I attached the full size images which might be easier to read.

Attachments

• IMG_3735.JPG
    IMG_3735.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3734.JPG
    IMG_3734.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 66
dlgoff said:
It's a reprint of The New York Times Newspaper
Yes, it is.

Likes dlgoff
DaveC426913 said:
Yes, it is.
So, you were able to read it okay?

dlgoff said:
So, you were able to read it okay?
Well, no.

I think perhaps a teaser would be in order - something that might pique a potential reader's curiosity and draw them in.

DaveC426913 said:
Well, no.

I think perhaps a teaser would be in order - something that might pique a potential reader's curiosity and draw them in.
I really don't know what you mean.

PF automatically downsizes the images. To read the full sized versions, you'll either need to post them elsewhere and link to them, or alternatively, type in the text.

dlgoff said:
I really don't know what you mean.
  1. The title contains three words that, while I recognize, I'm not used to seeing together, and make no sense to me. They do not illuminate the subject of the thread, except for Kansas, but then the thread seems to also have something to do with Christmas.
  2. The body of the thread contains photos of New York Times newspaper pages, which is a complete non sequitur, though they too reference Kansas.
None of that explains why you've presented this for us to read.

DaveC426913 said:
  1. The title contains three words that, while I recognize, I'm not used to seeing together, and make no sense to me. They do not illuminate the subject of the thread, except for Kansas, but then the thread seems to also have something to do with Christmas.
  2. The body of the thread contains photos of New York Times newspaper pages, which is a complete non sequitur, though they too reference Kansas.
None of that explains why you've presented this for us to read.
Sorry you don't understand why I posted the reproduction that was given to me while visiting the Christmas tree exhibit. Discussion Ended.

Sorry about that. I don't mean to be a stinker.

1. What was the purpose of the Kansas Territorial Capital?

The Kansas Territorial Capital was established as the seat of government for the Kansas Territory in 1855. It was meant to serve as the administrative center for the territory and to facilitate the development and settlement of the region.

2. Where was the Kansas Territorial Capital located?

The Kansas Territorial Capital was originally located in Pawnee, Kansas. However, it was later moved to the town of Shawnee Mission in 1855, where it remained until 1861 when the capital was officially moved to Topeka.

3. When was the Kansas Territorial Capital established?

The Kansas Territorial Capital was established in 1855 when the Kansas Territory was created by the Kansas-Nebraska Act. It was officially recognized as the capital by the territorial legislature in 1856.

4. What happened to the Kansas Territorial Capital after it was moved to Topeka?

After the capital was moved to Topeka in 1861, the original building in Shawnee Mission was abandoned and fell into disrepair. In 1928, the building was restored and opened as a museum. It is now known as the Shawnee Indian Mission State Historic Site.

5. Why was the Kansas Territorial Capital significant in the history of Kansas?

The Kansas Territorial Capital played a crucial role in the development of Kansas as a state. It served as the center of government during the tumultuous years of Bleeding Kansas and was the site of many important events, including the formation of the state's first constitution in 1855. It also symbolized the struggle between pro-slavery and anti-slavery forces in the territory. Its move to Topeka in 1861 marked the beginning of a new era in Kansas history, leading to its eventual statehood in 1861.