Christoffel symbol ("undotting")

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition and calculation of the Christoffel symbol, with the question of how to go from the final relation back to the first one. It is ultimately determined that the first equation can be regained by multiplying the second one with the vector ##\vec Z_m##, and the conversation ends with a note of gratitude and a question about how to thank others on the forum.
kiuhnm
I hope you can understand my notation. The Christoffel symbol can be defined through the relation$$
\frac{\partial \pmb{Z}_i} {\partial Z^k} = \Gamma_{ik}^j \pmb{Z}_j
$$ I can solve for the Christoffel symbol this way: $$
\frac{\partial \pmb{Z}_i} {\partial Z^k} \cdot \pmb{Z}^m = \Gamma_{ik}^j \pmb{Z}_j \cdot \pmb{Z}^m = \Gamma_{ik}^j \delta^m_j = \Gamma_{ik}^m
$$
This might be a stupid question, but how can I go from the last relation back to the first one? Probably by multiplying by ##\pmb{Z}_m##: $$
\left( \frac{\partial \pmb{Z}_i} {\partial Z^k} \cdot \pmb{Z}^m \right) \pmb{Z}_m = \ldots\
$$ Now, either I need to rewrite the dot product more explicitly or there's some propriety I don't know of.

Physics news on Phys.org
For any vector ##\vec v##, it holds that if you expand it in terms of ##\vec Z_m##, you have the components ##v^m## as
$$
\vec v = v^m \vec Z_m.
$$
Multiplying by ##\vec Z^i## gives you
$$
\vec Z^i \cdot \vec v = v^m \vec Z^i \cdot \vec Z_ m = v^m \delta^i_m = v^i
$$
and therefore
$$
\vec v = (\vec Z^m \cdot \vec v) \vec Z_m.
$$
So yes, you regain the first equation by multiplying the second with ##\vec Z_m##.

Likes kiuhnm
Ah, yes. After all that's exactly what the Christoffel symbol means: it "contains" the components of all the n^2 vectors wrt the covariant basis.
In hindsight it really was a dumb question! Thank you.

META: how should I thank people on this forum? Should I just press the "like" button?

kiuhnm said:
META: how should I thank people on this forum? Should I just press the "like" button?
That is one way that is giving some sort of official record, but a simple "thanks!" in the thread is also always appreciated. (Or you can do both :wink:)

Likes kiuhnm

What is the Christoffel symbol?

The Christoffel symbol, also known as "undotting", is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry to describe the behavior of curves and surfaces in multidimensional spaces. It is a set of numbers that represent the curvature of a space at a given point.

Why is the Christoffel symbol important?

The Christoffel symbol is important in the study of differential geometry because it allows us to understand the geometry of spaces with more than three dimensions. It is also essential in the development of Einstein's theory of general relativity.

How is the Christoffel symbol calculated?

The Christoffel symbol is calculated using the metric tensor, which describes the distance between points in a space. It involves taking partial derivatives of the metric tensor and performing a series of calculations to obtain the final values.

What is the relationship between the Christoffel symbol and curvature?

The Christoffel symbol is closely related to the curvature of a space. It describes how a space is curved or curved in different directions at a particular point. The Christoffel symbol is used to calculate the curvature tensor, which is a measure of the overall curvature of a space.

How is the Christoffel symbol used in physics?

In physics, the Christoffel symbol is used in the study of general relativity to describe the curvature of spacetime. It is also used in other areas of physics, such as fluid dynamics and electromagnetism, to understand the behavior of particles and fields in multidimensional spaces.