Christoffel symbols etc. via Lagrangian

In summary, the author found a way to write the Lagrangian for metric particles in a simpler form, and will try it out to make sure he understands it.
jixe
I believe there is a way of calculating Christoffel symbols which is easier and less time-consuming than using the metric formula directly. This involves writing down the Lagrangian in a form that just includes the kinetic energy assuming zero potential energy and then equating the coefficient of a pair of coordinates to the equivalent C symbol with those 2 coordinates as its lower indices.

I can get the Lagrangian for simple metrics, but once it starts getting a bit more complex, with multiple curvilinear coordinates etc. I'm stuffed.

Is there a foolproof procedure for writing this Lagrangian when you have to include terms theta phi, r phi, etc.? Also , when you write the C symbol with the lower values, what is the significance of the upper C symbol coordinate ( what should it be? )

Related question

How do you get geodesic equations from a metric/line element ? Once again I can see in the case of a photon you can set the line element to zero, but what about massive particles ?

I don't feel I can move on until I get this stuff sorted out and I have a sneaky feeling that it maybe just involves looking at the whole thing in a slightly different way, but while I get hung up on the detail there's no chance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you robphy.

I can't say I understood much of the first article, but the second was right on the button. (Though I guess he must have left out a bracket in the equation starting L=, which had me going for a while).

What I needed was a nice simple example like that.

Now I will go away and try it out a few times just to be sure. Thanks again.

1. What are Christoffel symbols?

Christoffel symbols, also known as the Christoffel symbols of the second kind, are mathematical objects used in differential geometry to describe the curvature and connections of a given manifold. They are named after German mathematician Elwin Bruno Christoffel.

2. How are Christoffel symbols related to Lagrangian mechanics?

Christoffel symbols are used in Lagrangian mechanics to describe the curvature and connections of a given system. They are used to calculate the kinetic and potential energy of a system and to determine the equations of motion.

3. What is the purpose of using Lagrangian mechanics to study Christoffel symbols?

Lagrangian mechanics provides a more elegant and efficient way to study the dynamics of a system compared to traditional methods. It allows for a systematic approach to solving complex problems involving Christoffel symbols by using the principle of least action.

4. How are Christoffel symbols calculated from a Lagrangian?

The Christoffel symbols can be calculated from the Lagrangian by taking the second derivative of the Lagrangian with respect to the coordinates of the system. This process involves taking partial derivatives and using the metric tensor to calculate the Christoffel symbols of the given system.

5. What are the applications of studying Christoffel symbols via Lagrangian mechanics?

Studying Christoffel symbols via Lagrangian mechanics has many applications in physics and engineering. It is used to study the dynamics of particles and systems, such as in celestial mechanics and robotics. It is also used in fields such as general relativity and quantum mechanics to understand the behavior of particles in curved spacetimes.