Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Christoffel symbols etc. via Lagrangian

1. Apr 30, 2009 #1
    I believe there is a way of calculating Christoffel symbols which is easier and less time-consuming than using the metric formula directly. This involves writing down the Lagrangian in a form that just includes the kinetic energy assuming zero potential energy and then equating the coefficient of a pair of coordinates to the equivalent C symbol with those 2 coordinates as its lower indices.

I can get the Lagrangian for simple metrics, but once it starts getting a bit more complex, with multiple curvilinear coordinates etc. I'm stuffed.

Is there a foolproof procedure for writing this Lagrangian when you have to include terms theta phi, r phi, etc.? Also , when you write the C symbol with the lower values, what is the significance of the upper C symbol coordinate ( what should it be? )

Related question

How do you get geodesic equations from a metric/line element ? Once again I can see in the case of a photon you can set the line element to zero, but what about massive particles ?

I don't feel I can move on until I get this stuff sorted out and I have a sneaky feeling that it maybe just involves looking at the whole thing in a slightly different way, but while I get hung up on the detail there's no chance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2009 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Apr 30, 2009 #3
    Thank you robphy.

I can't say I understood much of the first article, but the second was right on the button. (Though I guess he must have left out a bracket in the equation starting L=, which had me going for a while).

What I needed was a nice simple example like that.

Now I will go away and try it out a few times just to be sure. Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook