Circuit analysis -- Voltage question

In summary: The short circuit output voltage would be zero because there is no voltage drop across the short circuit. The short circuit output current would be 5/2500= 2mA
Jamessamuel
hello,

i have a question regarding the way we represent information on circuit diagrams.

The first is to do with representing output voltages:
12243789_1651989198375566_1915806819_n.jpg

is V out always simply representing the voltage of whatever lies between/trapped between those two horizontal lines? Also, i see a lot of diagrams like this and am asked to determine v out. However, I am not sure whether or not current would flow into those horizontal lines protruding out to those 2 nodes. I don't know what's been connected in there... do i need to know? does current "split" at that top junction?

regards

james.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jamessamuel said:
is V out always simply representing the voltage of whatever lies between/trapped between those two horizontal lines?

In short yes.

Also, i see a lot of diagrams like this and am asked to determine v out. However, I am not sure whether or not current would flow into those horizontal lines protruding out to those 2 nodes. I don't know what's been connected in there... do i need to know? does current "split" at that top junction?

If the output nodes are NOT connected to anything then no current flows "out to those nodes". In the drawing you posted the output is open circuit (nothing connected to the output) so the current does not split at that top junction. It all goes through the diode. Vout would be known as the "open circuit output voltage". In your example the open circuit output voltage would be equal to the forward voltage drop of the diode. Typically about 0.7V for small silicon diodes.

In other circuits there might be something connected to the output and then that has to be taken into account. For example if the output terminals were connected together with a wire we would say the output has been "short circuited". The output voltage would be zero but there might be current flowing in the wire. This would be known as the "short circuit output current". In your example the short circuit output current would be 5/2500= 2mA

thank you for clarifying- i do have one other question though,

when you say there could be a wire between the terminals, why does that imply the V out would be zero?

Jamessamuel said:
why does that imply the V out would be zero?
A true short circuit has no PD across it, whatever current is passing through it. R=0 so IR = 0

1. What is voltage in a circuit?

Voltage is the potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is represented by the symbol "V".

2. How is voltage calculated in a circuit?

Voltage is calculated by dividing the total energy in a circuit by the total charge. It can also be calculated by multiplying the current (I) by the resistance (R), according to Ohm's Law: V = IR.

3. How does voltage affect the flow of current in a circuit?

Voltage is the driving force that pushes electrical charges to flow through a circuit. Higher voltage means more energy and a stronger push, resulting in a higher current flow.

4. What is the difference between AC and DC voltage?

AC (alternating current) voltage changes direction periodically, while DC (direct current) voltage only flows in one direction. AC voltage is commonly used in household electricity, while DC voltage is commonly used in batteries and electronic devices.

5. How can voltage be measured in a circuit?

Voltage can be measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the potential difference between two points in a circuit. It is connected in parallel to the component or circuit being measured and displays the voltage in volts (V).