Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuit design and manufacturing

1. Apr 2, 2006 #1
    Hello I am trying to find a all in one place that can engineer a circuit, create a prototype, and possibly do small quantity production.
    Does anyone know of a place, Ive been searching the net for hours and most the ones I see are for just PCB design, or PCB design and manu.
    any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I've used an excellent consultant here in Silicon Valley. He is definitely not cheap, but he's one of the best. PM me if you want his contact info.

4. Apr 3, 2006 #3
    PM?
    Unfamiliar with lingo.

5. Apr 3, 2006 #4
  6. Apr 3, 2006 #5

berkeman

Private Message. I think you can just click on my "berkeman" handle and one of the choices will be send a PM.

7. Apr 3, 2006 #6

berkeman

2 Amps is a lot of current for a simple signal generator. Most generators will have an output impedance of 50 Ohms (or higher), and a +/-5V-ish output voltage. Is the higher current requirement the reason that you need to design and build something different from the examples you posted links to? If so, maybe all you have to do is build (or buy) an amplifier that can take the signal generator input and buffer it to the output. The frequency range you mentioned is mostly audio except for the 1Hz part -- you might be able to use an off-the-shelf audio amp if you bypass the input AC coupled stage....

8. Apr 3, 2006 #7
    I tried using a PC tone generator and a home audio amp but the signal clipped badly and ruined the amp. I think the electromagnets Im powering need a square wave, and audio amps cant handle that.

9. Apr 3, 2006 #8
    I have a micro tone generator that goes upto 8 volts it says Ill try that tonight.

10. Apr 3, 2006 #9
    OK I checked it with a DMM it was only 4 volts with no load.
    I tried it on the electromagnets (5.5Ohms) didnt even cause the magnets to oscillate the armature bar.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?