Circuit which stops other switches to work asa one switch is pressed

In summary, four people are playing a game of "Jailbreak" where the first person to press a button gets to keep playing. Each button corresponds to a different output, and the game is controlled by a master switch. The master switch has # of buttons and outputs a value when input is 1 or 0.
Sourabh N
I have to make a circuit which works like this : I'll have some buzzers (just bulbs which glow when switch is pressed); as soon as one buzzer is pressed, others stop working till the first switch is released. I don't have an experience of making circuits, except the easiest ones made in school. So, please help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sourabh N said:
I have to make a circuit which works like this : I'll have some buzzers (just bulbs which glow when switch is pressed); as soon as one buzzer is pressed, others stop working till the first switch is released. I don't have an experience of making circuits, except the easiest ones made in school. So, please help.

You should try to reword your question a bit. You're calling lamps buzzers and then saying that when you press the buzzer (the lamp) the others (what others?) stop working till the first switch is released.

CS

Sourabh N said:

Maybe look into what enable signals on different logic circuits do. Lots of digital circuits use an enable signal, and it is worth understanding. It sounds like you need an enable signal for each of your secondary switches, and this signal is generated from your primary switch.

How to understand enable signal. I tried Wikipedia, but couldn't understand:cry:

Why don't you describe your system a little better? There could be a number of solutions ranging in complexity. There could be even quite simple mechanical solutions rather than digital logic-type solutions.

Ok, I'll try again. For e.g. I have 4 lamps, 4 people having it. As soon as one person presses the switch, his lamp glows and other circuits break(or something like that), so that other lamps don't glow, even if the other persons press the switch.
I'm doing this so that there is no confusion about who pressed the switch(i.e whose response was) first.

so like jeopardy the game show? You might want to have the light stay on until a reset (timed or manual reset)

Ya, That will work.

why don't you create a logic table first.
# of buttons and output value when input is 1 or 0 with a master controlling all

1. How does a circuit that stops other switches from working when one switch is pressed work?

The circuit uses a combination of logic gates and transistors to control the flow of electricity. When one switch is pressed, it triggers a logic gate to send a signal to the transistors, which then block the flow of electricity to the other switches.

2. What is the purpose of using this type of circuit?

This type of circuit is commonly used in situations where only one switch should be activated at a time, such as in a game controller or keypad. It helps prevent accidental or unwanted inputs from other switches.

3. Can this circuit be easily integrated into existing electronic devices?

Yes, this circuit can be easily integrated into existing electronic devices as it only requires a few additional components, such as logic gates and transistors. However, the circuit design may need to be tailored to fit the specific device.

4. What are the potential drawbacks of using this type of circuit?

One potential drawback is that the circuit may introduce a delay in the response time of the switches, as the signal needs to pass through the logic gates and transistors before reaching the output. Additionally, this type of circuit may require more power and may be more complex to troubleshoot if an issue arises.

5. Are there any alternative methods for achieving the same function as this circuit?

Yes, there are alternative methods for achieving the same function. For example, a microcontroller can be programmed to only allow one switch to be active at a time. Additionally, mechanical switches with built-in mechanisms can also be used to achieve a similar effect.