Finding Acceleration in Circular Kinematics without Degrees or Radians

In summary, the conversation discusses a circular kinematics question involving a wheel with a radius of .27m rotating at a rate of three full circles per second. The first part of the question asked for the velocity, which was found to be 5.09m/s. The second part requires finding the acceleration in m/s^2, but only using radians. The conversation mentions the equation for centripetal acceleration and the resulting large value of 96.0 m/s^2 due to the fast rotation rate. The conversation ends with a thank you for the help.
rottweiler
1. I have a circular kinematics question that I am not sure how to solve part of. I have a radius of.27m, and the wheel rotates three full circles a second. The first part of the question asked me to solve for velocity and I got 5.09m/s. I have to find acceleration in m/s^2. I am not allowed to use degrees only radians.

2. The four kinematics equations rearranged for polar coordinates.

3. Part one was ((2*Pi*3*27m)=5.09m/s I am not sure how to proceed with the acceleration[/b

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the equation governing centripetal acceleration?

(V^2)/r but that would make the acceleration 96.0 m/s^2 isn't that a large acceleration?

Last edited:
rottweiler said:
(V^2)/r but that would make the acceleration 96.0 m/s^2 isn't that a large acceleration?

yes that is what it would be, but you must realize that it is making 3 revolutions in 1 second. which is quite fast.

Thank you so much!

1. What is circular kinematics?

Circular kinematics is the study of motion in a circular path, including the velocity, acceleration, and forces involved in such motion. It is an important concept in physics and is used to explain the movement of objects in circular motion, such as planets orbiting the sun or a car turning around a corner.

2. What is the difference between linear and circular kinematics?

The main difference between linear and circular kinematics is the path of motion. Linear kinematics deals with motion in a straight line, while circular kinematics deals with motion in a circular path. Additionally, the equations used to calculate velocity and acceleration are different for each type of motion.

3. How do you calculate the velocity of an object in circular motion?

The velocity of an object in circular motion can be calculated using the formula v = rω, where v is the velocity, r is the radius of the circular path, and ω is the angular velocity (the rate of change of angle over time).

4. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude can be calculated using the formula a = v²/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

5. How does centripetal force relate to circular kinematics?

Centripetal force is the force that is necessary to keep an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is equal to the centripetal acceleration multiplied by the mass of the object. In circular kinematics, it is used to explain the relationship between an object's velocity, acceleration, and the radius of its circular path.