Calculating Circular Motion: Velocity, Acceleration, and Weight Ratios Explained

In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics problem involving a Ferris Wheel ride at a country fair. The person is trying to find their speed, acceleration, and the ratio of their apparent weight to their true weight at the top and bottom of the ride. They use equations for velocity, acceleration, and centripetal force to solve the problem, and discuss the importance of rounding and understanding the concept of centripetal force. The final solution involves finding the normal force and weight at the bottom and top of the ride and using them to calculate the ratio of apparent weight to true weight.
aligass2004

Homework Statement

While at a country fair, you decide to ride the Farris Wheel. Having eaten too many candy apples and elephant ears, you find the motion somewhat unpleasant. To take your mind off your stomach, you wonder about the motion of the ride. You estimate the radius of the big wheel to be 14m, and you use your watch to find that each loop around takes 26s. a.) What is your speed? b.) What is the magnitude of your acceleration? c.) What is the ratio of your apparent weight to your true weight at the top of the ride? d.) What is the ratio of your apparent weight to your true weight at the bottom?

Homework Equations

v = wr
a = w^2r = v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I successfully solved part a by finding the frequency. I then plugged the frequency into w = 2(pi)radians(f). Then I used v = wr to find the velocity, which is 3.346. I then tried using both equations for acceleration, but I didn't get the right answer. I got it to be .8m/s^2.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your trouble may be with rounding... for example... I get 3.383 for the speed... and 0.8176 for acceleration...

Yeah, that was the problem. Normally I complete each equation separately and round off the answer after I find the solution to each equation...if that makes sense. How do I do the apparent weight thing?

The apparent weight is the normal force exerted by the seat on the person... use centripetal acceleration to find the normal force at the bottom and top...

Is it just the same as the acceleration from before?

aligass2004 said:
Is it just the same as the acceleration from before?

yes.

use [tex]\Sigma{F} = ma[/tex] at the bottom and top to find the normal force.

One more question before I start, what is the mass?

aligass2004 said:
One more question before I start, what is the mass?

you don't need the mass... just use m.

later you'll be getting ratios... and the m's will cancel.

So would the normal force = .818(mass)?

aligass2004 said:
So would the normal force = .818(mass)?

no. 0.818*mass is the net force... not the normal force.

use [tex]\Sigma{F} = ma[/tex]

0.818 goes in the right side... what forces go in the left side of this equation?

normal force-centripetal force = ma

aligass2004 said:
normal force-centripetal force = ma

no... centripetal force is not an independent force in itself... a centripetal force is the result of other forces...

what are the regular forces acting on the person in the ferris wheel? normal force is correct. what is the other force?

normal force - weight = ma

aligass2004 said:
normal force - weight = ma

yes. that is correct. that's at the bottom of the loop.

at the top it is the opposite... weight-normal force = ma.

Yes, the centripetal "force" in a sense is not a true force, it is an acceleration that is a result of other forces. Forces shouldn't be confused for accelerations.

I get a ratio of 0.846 while using a radial acceleration approximate value of 0.846, what do you get?

I have this same problem but with different variables and found my acceleration to be 1.61 m/s^2. Can you further explain how the ratio of apparent weight to true weight is determined?

I figured it out so that can previous post can be ignored.

1. How do you calculate the velocity of an object in circular motion?

To calculate the velocity of an object in circular motion, you can use the formula v = rω, where v is the velocity, r is the radius of the circle, and ω is the angular velocity. Alternatively, you can also use the formula v = 2πr/T, where T is the period of the motion.

2. What is the relationship between velocity and acceleration in circular motion?

The relationship between velocity and acceleration in circular motion is that they are always perpendicular to each other. This means that while the object is moving in a circular path, the acceleration is constantly changing the direction of the velocity, but not its magnitude.

3. How do you calculate the acceleration of an object in circular motion?

The acceleration of an object in circular motion can be calculated using the formula a = rω², where a is the acceleration, r is the radius of the circle, and ω is the angular velocity. Alternatively, you can also use the formula a = v²/r, where v is the velocity of the object.

4. What is the weight ratio in circular motion and how is it calculated?

The weight ratio in circular motion refers to the ratio of the weight of an object to the centripetal force acting on it. It is calculated using the formula W/Fc = m v²/r, where W is the weight of the object, Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

5. How does the weight ratio affect an object's motion in a circular path?

The weight ratio affects an object's motion in a circular path by determining the amount of centripetal force needed to keep the object in its circular path. If the weight ratio is too high, the object may not have enough centripetal force to maintain the circular motion and may fly off the path. On the other hand, if the weight ratio is too low, the object may experience too much centripetal force and may move faster or have a tighter radius in its circular path.