Circular motion - banked angle?

In summary, the car with a mass of 1250 kg is traveling at a constant speed of 24 km/h along a circular path with a radius of 18m. To find the angle of the road where friction is not needed to maintain the circular path, we must first draw a free body diagram of the car. The only forces acting on the car are gravity and the normal force. By applying Newton's 2nd law to the vertical and horizontal components, we can set up two equations to solve for the unknown normal force. Once we have the normal force, we can use trigonometry and the tangent function to find the angle of the road. It is important to note that the centripetal force, which is responsible for
paperdoll

Homework Statement

a 1250 kg car follows a circular path around a roundabout of radius 18m at a constant speed of 24 kmh-1

at what angle would the road need to be banked for there to be no need to rely on friction to maintain the circular path?

Homework Equations

SOH CAH TOA?
F=ma
Fc=mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

v=6.6666 ms-1
r=18
m=1250

f=mv^2/r
f=3085.8 N

I can't figure out how to do the question from here :\

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by drawing yourself a free body diagram of the car. What forces act on it? Then apply Newton's 2nd law.

Doc Al said:
Start by drawing yourself a free body diagram of the car. What forces act on it? Then apply Newton's 2nd law.

I must be drawing my diagram wrong because I get 14.6 degrees as my answer but the answer in the back of the book is 15.3

let me see if I can take a photo

paperdoll said:
I must be drawing my diagram wrong because I get 14.6 degrees as my answer but the answer in the back of the book is 15.3

let me see if I can take a photo

I trust you were using the tangent function for this moving body, and not the sine function you would use for a stationary body (when calculating necessary friction)

PeterO said:
I trust you were using the tangent function for this moving body, and not the sine function you would use for a stationary body (when calculating necessary friction)

Hmm...I was using the sin function. I haven't used tangent before, is this specially for circular motion? :confused:

here is a picture of what I was trying to do:
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/5274/photoon20120121at2143.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

if tan function is to be used, does that mean gravity is not counted? I am confused :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
paperdoll said:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/841/photoon20120121at2143.jpg/
In your diagram, what forces act on the car? I can see gravity, but what other force acts?
if tan function is to be used, does that mean gravity is not counted?
Gravity is definitely counted.

Doc Al said:
In your diagram, what forces act on the car? I can see gravity, but what other force acts?

Gravity is definitely counted.

the centripetal force is the one which is 3085.8 N and I think it's acting on the diagonal to the car? (on diagram)

since gravity is on the hypotenuse, I'm not sure how to derive a tangent function :redface:

paperdoll said:
the centripetal force is the one which is 3085.8 N and I think it's acting on the diagonal to the car? (on diagram)
Ah... Some problems:
(1) 'centripetal force' is just the name we give to whatever net force give rise to the centripetal acceleration. It should not appear on a free body diagram. Only real forces should appear on the diagram. So... What force besides gravity acts on the car?
(2) What's the direction of the centripetal acceleration? It's not along the diagonal!

paperdoll said:
Hmm...I was using the sin function. I haven't used tangent before, is this specially for circular motion? :confused:

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/5274/photoon20120121at2143.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

if tan function is to be used, does that mean gravity is not counted? I am confused :confused:

The free body diagram gives the answer.
The two forces acting in the car are:
1. gravity [vertically down] and
2. the Normal reaction Force [perpendicular to the surface].
The net force is the centripetal force [horizontally towards the centre of the circle].

When you draw those three in a triangle, the Normal reaction force [which you don't know the size of yet**] is the hypotenuse.
The Weight Force and the Centripetal Force are the adjacent and opposite sides - thus the tangent function.

** the reason you don't know the size of the Normal Reaction force yet is that as a reaction Force, it becomes "as big as is necessary". Only after a full analysis will you know how big that is.

Example: what is the normal reaction force on a billard ball dropped onto a surface?

If you place a billiard ball on a block of putty, you will create a small indentation - indicating that there was a certain force needed to support the ball.
If you DROP a billiard ball onto a block of putty, you will create a bigger indentation - indicating that a larger force needed to STOP the ball.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doc Al said:
Ah... Some problems:
(1) 'centripetal force' is just the name we give to whatever net force give rise to the centripetal acceleration. It should not appear on a free body diagram. Only real forces should appear on the diagram. So... What force besides gravity acts on the car?
(2) What's the direction of the centripetal acceleration? It's not along the diagonal!

okay, I just went to google and did some research and the centripetal motion should be on the horizontal...but I thought they shouldn't appear on a free body diagram?

the only other force I can think of is the "normal force" which would be 12250 N acting upwards from the car

paperdoll said:
okay, I just went to google and did some research and the centripetal motion should be on the horizontal...
Right. The acceleration is horizontal (towards the center of the circle the car is making).
but I thought they shouldn't appear on a free body diagram?
The centripetal acceleration will appear when you apply Newton's 2nd law to analyze the forces.
the only other force I can think of is the "normal force"
Good!
which would be 12250 N acting upwards from the car
No. Since the car is accelerating and on an angled road, you cannot assume that the normal force equals the weight of the car. Just call it "N", an unknown. You won't need to solve for it to find the angle.

You have the two forces: Gravity, which acts downward, and the normal force. Now apply Newton's 2nd law to the vertical and horizontal force components. You'll get two equations.

paperdoll said:
the only other force I can think of is the "normal force" which would be 12250 N acting upwards from the car

That is the wrong size for the Normal force, and the "Normal" part of the name "Normal Force" is a reference to the force being perpendicular to the surface.

Since a banked track is not horizontal; the Normal Force will not be vertical. [the weight force will of course be vertical].

Re-read my earlier post and you may see how/why it is Tan that you use, in conjunction with weight and centripetal Force, to get the angle of banking.

1. What is circular motion and banked angle?

Circular motion refers to the movement of an object along a circular path, where the distance from the center remains constant. Banked angle is the angle at which the circular path is inclined from the horizontal, typically seen in curves or turns in roads or racetracks.

2. What is the purpose of banked angles in circular motion?

The purpose of banked angles is to provide a centripetal force that helps keep the object moving along the circular path without slipping or skidding. This is important for maintaining stability and safety in circular motion, such as in vehicles or amusement park rides.

3. How is the banked angle determined?

The banked angle is determined by the speed of the object, the radius of the circular path, and the gravitational acceleration. These factors are used to calculate the centripetal force needed for the object to stay on the path without slipping, and the angle is then adjusted accordingly.

4. What are the effects of changing the banked angle on circular motion?

Changing the banked angle can affect the speed at which the object can safely travel along the circular path. If the angle is too low, the object may slip or skid; if it is too high, the object may experience unnecessary friction and slow down. Additionally, changing the angle can also affect the direction of the centripetal force acting on the object.

5. Are there any real-world applications of circular motion with banked angles?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of circular motion with banked angles, such as in roller coasters, racecars, and airplanes. These structures are designed with banked curves to ensure the safety and stability of the objects moving along the circular path. Banked angles are also used in sports, such as track cycling and speed skating, where athletes rely on the centripetal force to maintain their speed and balance around curves.