Circular Motion - Banked Curve

In summary, the engineer needs to bank the curve at an angle of 14.11 degrees for cars to safely make the turn with a radius of 50 m while traveling at a speed of 40 km/h with no friction. This was determined using the equations FN = (m*g)/(cos θ) and tan θ = v^2/r*g, and converting the speed to standard units.
Iser

Homework Statement

Designing an on ramp for the 401 the engineer wants cars to be able to make the turn with a radius of 50 m while traveling 40km/hr in conditions with no friction. What angle must he bank the curve at to make this possible?

Homework Equations

FR = (m)(aR)
FR = (m)(v2)/(r)

The Attempt at a Solution

I first started by drawing a diagram and noting the values I have for the question which are the velocity (40 km/h) and the radius (50 m). The value I we're looking for in the question is the angle the bank makes.

I first know FN(Sin θ) = (m)(v2)/R

which I can then isolate FN through which becomes

FN = (m*g)/(cos θ)Since in the actual equation has no movement in the y-axis it is:
FNsinθ = m * v2/r

Then I sub in the FN I got from the previous equation and sub it into this one getting:

(m*g/cos θ)(sin θ) = m * v2/r

which then simplifies into:

tan θ = v2/r*g

I then put in the original values I had into the equation and got 3.26 then I put 3.26 into the tan-1 thing in the calculator and got 73o degrees.

Is my answer and thought process correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Iser said:
I then put in the original values I had into the equation and got 3.26 then I put 3.26 into the tan-1 thing in the calculator and got 73o degrees.

Is my answer and thought process correct?
Your thought process is perfect but your answer is not. (Convert the speed to standard units. :wink:)

Doc Al said:
Your thought process is perfect but your answer is not. (Convert the speed to standard units. :wink:)

Converted 40 km/h to 11.111 m/s.

Now I input the following into the formula:

tan θ = (11.1 m/s)2/(50)(9.8)

Which equals 0.2514489...

I then input that into the tan-1 function into the calculator and get:

14.11o degrees

Is this correct?

Iser said:
Converted 40 km/h to 11.111 m/s.

Now I input the following into the formula:

tan θ = (11.1 m/s)2/(50)(9.8)

Which equals 0.2514489...

I then input that into the tan-1 function into the calculator and get:

14.11o degrees

Is this correct?
Looks good!

Likes 1 person

Your thought process is correct, but your answer is incorrect. The angle of banking should be 14.5 degrees, not 73 degrees. This can be verified by plugging in the values into the equation you derived: tan θ = v2/r*g.

tan θ = (40 km/h)^2 / (50 m * 9.8 m/s^2)

tan θ = 1600 km^2/h^2 / 490 m^2/s^2

tan θ = 3.2653

θ = tan^-1(3.2653)

θ = 74.5 degrees

Therefore, the correct angle of banking for the curve is approximately 14.5 degrees. This is important for ensuring that cars can safely make the turn without slipping or losing control due to the centrifugal force acting on them. It also minimizes the wear and tear on the tires.

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is a type of motion where an object moves in a circular path around a fixed point or axis. This type of motion is caused by a centripetal force, which is directed towards the center of the circle.

2. What is a banked curve?

A banked curve is a curved track or road that is tilted or angled towards the inside of the curve. This allows objects, such as cars or bikes, to travel at higher speeds without slipping or skidding off the track.

3. How does the angle of banking affect circular motion?

The angle of banking affects circular motion by providing a component of the normal force that helps to counteract the centrifugal force and keep the object moving in a circular path. The steeper the angle of banking, the greater the normal force and the higher the speed that can be achieved.

4. What factors influence the need for a banked curve?

The need for a banked curve is influenced by factors such as the speed of the object, the weight of the object, and the radius of the curve. Higher speeds, heavier objects, and smaller radii typically require a steeper angle of banking to prevent slipping or skidding.

5. What are the real-world applications of banked curves?

Banked curves are commonly used in racetracks, roller coasters, and highways to allow vehicles to safely travel at high speeds without losing control. They are also used in sports, such as track and field events, to help athletes maintain their balance while running around a curved track.