Circular motion: could this happen?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a car traveling a curve at 75 mi/hr and coming to a stop after traveling 350 ft. The radius of the curve is 650 ft and the question is posed whether this situation is possible. Various equations and attempts at a solution are discussed, including determining the coefficient of friction and necessary deceleration. Ultimately, it is determined that the car cannot stay on the curve at this speed due to the force of static friction and the centripetal force.
jryan422
circular motion: could this happen?!?

1. Problem, given data

I have a car traveling a curve initially at 75 mi/hr. It comes to rest before it travels 350 ft along the curve. The radius of the curve is 650 ft.

I am asked if this situation is possible.

2. Equations

a = v^2/R

3. Attempt at a solution

a = v^2/R
v^2 = (a)(R)
= [(75mi/hr - 0mi/hr)(1m/s//2.24mi/hr)] [650ft(1 m / 3.28ft)]
when I find V, it's not the right answer.

This is not the correct answer. Am I setting this up correctly? Am i supposed to use s=r(angle) to determine the angle and transform this into a banking problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
[(75mi/hr - 0mi/hr)(1m/s//2.24mi/hr)] [650ft(1 m / 3.28ft)]
is not correct since one is multiplying velocity (of the difference) by distance.

It does not appear that banking is to part of the problem.

Use the initial conditions to determine the coefficient of friction for the tires. The car has to stay on the curve at maximum centrifugal force which much equal the friction force. Both are proportional to the mass of the car.

Then use that to determine the maximum permissible deceleration.

Can the car decelerate from 75 mph to 0 in 350 ft? What is the necessary deceleration?

It is not necessary to convert to metric, but if one does, it's best to convert all the known values first rather than in the equation.

Last edited:
wait I am sorry, but i still get a wrong answer.

the normal force is equal to the gravitational force. the force of static friction is equal to the force of drag. I can only find the normal force, which is just (9.8N/kg)M (mass is not given). what forces are responsible for the inward acceleration to the center of the circle? the Force of static friction is related to the normal force, but it's impossible to determine the coefficient of SF.

In order for the car to stay on the curve the friction supplies the centripetal force which must equal the centrifugal force, i.e.

[itex]\mu[/itex]mg = mv2/r, but since m is the same, this simply becomes

[itex]\mu[/itex]g = v2/r, or

[itex]\mu[/itex] = v2/gr and if this is greater than 1 the car can't possibly stay on the curve.

75 mph = 110 ft/s and g = 32.2 ft/s2 and r = 650 ft.

What is circular motion?

Circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a circular path at a constant speed.

What are the conditions for circular motion to occur?

In order for circular motion to occur, there must be a force acting on the object towards the center of the circular path, and the object must have a velocity tangent to the circular path.

Can circular motion occur without a force?

No, circular motion requires a force to act on the object in order to change its direction and keep it moving along the circular path.

Can an object move in a perfect circle?

In theory, an object can move in a perfect circle if the force acting on it is constant and there is no external interference. However, in reality, there will always be some deviation from a perfect circle due to factors such as air resistance and imperfections in the object's motion.

Can circular motion occur in outer space?

Yes, circular motion can occur in outer space as long as there is a force acting on the object and there is no interference from other objects or forces. In fact, many celestial bodies, such as planets and moons, move in circular orbits around larger bodies due to the force of gravity.