Circular motion/Earth- I'm lost

In summary, Dale says that you need to hit a satellite with a speed of 3.58 \cdot 10^5 \text{km} to put it into a circular orbit. The first formula (\sqrt{\frac{GM}{r}}) suggests that this is always possible, however the second formula (which Dale found on Wikipedia) says that this is only possible if the satellite is close to the Earth's center.
fluidistic
Gold Member
Recently I've been calculating that if there was a satellite in orbit around the Earth, to make it move in a cicular path, we'd have to hit it so that it acquires a speed of [tex]\sqrt{\frac{GM}{r}}[/tex]. (You can check this out : https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=266719). Everything was OK until I remembered my post https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=255633&highlight=geostationary.
If I understood something about this last post, in order to put in orbit (circular motion) a satellite we have to do it at [tex]3.58 \cdot 10^5 \text{km}[/tex] from the surface of the Earth otherwise the satellite would deviate and then not describe a circular motion. (unless it has a reactor and correct its path).
But the first formula ([tex]\sqrt{\frac{GM}{r}}[/tex]) seems to suggest (at least to me) that no matter how far from the center of the Earth the satellite is, it is always possible to apply an impulse on a satellite so that it will describe a circular path.
So my guess is that I'm wrong with the first formula but is it wrong? In fact I can't understand how the 2 formulas can work at the same time. One says the distance between the center of mass of the Earth and the satellite matters while the other say it doesn't at all. I also believe that the fact that one formula is for geostationary satellites doesn't matter since the other formula is applicable for all situations. I hope you understand where I'm clueless. What's happening? Thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the wikipedia Circular Orbit page. Given any arbitrary radius you can determine the velocity required to achieve a circular orbit at that radius using your formula above. There is another formula on the Wikipedia page that allows you to determine the orbital period. The geostationary orbit is the circular orbit with an orbital period of one day, that has a fixed radius. Any other radius can have a circular orbit but its period will generally be different from one day.

Thanks a lot DaleSpam! I get it now!

FAQ: Circular motion/Earth- I'm lost

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path or orbit. It occurs when an object experiences a force directed towards the center of the circle, causing it to continuously change direction and velocity.

2. How does circular motion relate to the Earth?

The Earth rotates on its axis, which creates circular motion. This rotation causes day and night as different parts of the Earth are facing towards or away from the sun. The Earth also revolves around the sun in an elliptical orbit, which is another form of circular motion.

3. What causes circular motion on Earth?

There are two main forces that cause circular motion on Earth: gravity and inertia. Gravity keeps the Earth in its orbit around the sun and also causes objects to fall towards the Earth's surface. Inertia, the tendency of an object to resist changes in its motion, keeps the Earth rotating on its axis.

4. How does circular motion affect our daily lives?

Circular motion is present in many aspects of our daily lives. The Earth's rotation and revolution are responsible for the changing of seasons, the rising and setting of the sun, and the length of our days and nights. Circular motion is also utilized in many technologies, such as amusement park rides and car engines.

5. What are some real-life examples of circular motion?

Some real-life examples of circular motion include the motion of planets and moons around the sun, the rotation of a ceiling fan, the swinging of a pendulum, and the orbit of satellites around the Earth. Other examples can be found in sports, such as the spinning of a basketball on a player's finger or the rotation of a figure skater during a spin.