Circular Motion of a ball Problem

In summary: It seems like you mixed up the numbers 6 and 4 when calculating the square root of 0.5*9.8. Remember to always double check your calculations to avoid simple errors like this.
cse63146

Homework Statement

A 60 g ball is tied to the end of a 50-cm-long string and swung in a vertical circle. The center of the circle, as shown in Figure, is 150 cm above the floor. The ball is swung at the minimum speed necessary to make it over the top without the string going slack.

If the string is released at the instant the ball is at the top of the loop, where does the ball hit the ground?

http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1000600/5/knight_Figure_07_62.jpg

Homework Equations

Critical velocity = [tex]V{c}[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{r*g}[/tex]
[tex]\Delta[/tex]d=V{i}*t + (1/2)(a)(t^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted this problem as a projectile motion problem, and divided the calculations into two parts: Horizontal and Verticle

Verticle Part

So I used this equation: [tex]\Delta[/tex]d=V{i}*t + (1/2)(a)(t^2) and I know the verticle initial is 0 so I can eliminate V{i}*t of the equation and get: [tex]\Delta[/tex]d=(1/2)(a)(t^2)

2 = (1/2)*(9.8)*(t^2)
2 = 4.9*(t^2)
t^2 = 2 / 49
t = 0.64 seconds

Horizontal Part

The horizontal parts only has 3 variables: V, d, and t (which I know from the verticle part). and V = V{c} = [tex]\sqrt{r*g}[/tex] = 0.59 m/s.

and d = v*t = 0.59*0.64 = 0.3776 m

This doesn't look right. I was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks ok except for a math error in your critical speed calc.

yea I see what you mean. I accidently used the mass instead of the radius.

so it would be v_{c}=[tex]\sqrt{r*g}[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{0.5*9.8}[/tex] = 6.9

therefore:

d = v*t = (6.9) * (0.64) = 4.4 m/s?

Does this seem right?

Edit: Still not the right answer. Help?

What are you asked to find? (I don't see a question in the problem statement.)

oops.Sorry about that.

If the string is released at the instant the ball is at the top of the loop, where does the ball hit the ground?

cse63146 said:
yea I see what you mean. I accidently used the mass instead of the radius.

so it would be v_{c}=[tex]\sqrt{r*g}[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{0.5*9.8}[/tex] = 6.9

therefore:

d = v*t = (6.9) * (0.64) = 4.4 m/s?

Does this seem right?

Edit: Still not the right answer. Help?
you've made anoteher math error,
[tex]\sqrt{r*g}[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{0.5*9.8}= \sqrt4.9 = 2.2m/s[/tex] And then calculate the distance d which wil be in meters.

yep

d = v*t = 2.2*0.64 = 1.4 m

Thanks a lot!

still can't figure out why I put down 6.9 instead of 4.9...

Related to Circular Motion of a ball Problem

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is when an object moves in a circular path around a fixed point.

2. How do you calculate the velocity of a ball in circular motion?

The velocity of a ball in circular motion can be calculated using the formula v=ωr, where v is the velocity, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. How does the mass of the ball affect its circular motion?

The mass of the ball does not affect the circular motion itself, but it does affect the force required to keep the ball in circular motion. A heavier ball will require a greater force to maintain the same circular path as a lighter ball.

4. What is centripetal force and how does it relate to circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object in circular motion. It acts towards the center of the circular path and is proportional to the mass of the object and the square of its velocity. Without a centripetal force, an object would continue in a straight line instead of a circular path.

5. What factors affect the centripetal force acting on a ball in circular motion?

The centripetal force acting on a ball in circular motion is affected by the mass of the ball, the velocity of the ball, and the radius of the circular path. A larger mass or higher velocity will require a greater centripetal force, while a larger radius will require a smaller centripetal force.