Circular Motion: Find an Expression for Mass M

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a smooth thin tube with a string passing through it, attached to masses m and M. The tube is moved so that mass m travels in a horizontal circle of radius r at constant speed v. The conversation goes on to find an expression for M and discusses possible solutions and assumptions made in the problem, including the correct answer given by the exam board and potential errors in the question.
GeneralOJB

Homework Statement

The diagram shows a smooth thin tube through which passes a string with masses [itex]m[/itex] and [itex]M[/itex] attached to its ends. The tube is moved so that the mass [itex]m[/itex] travels in a horizontal circle of radius [itex]r[/itex] at constant speed [itex]v[/itex]

http://quickpic.info/z/yb.jpg

Find an expression for [itex]M[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex]F = \dfrac{mv^2} r[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The string will be slanting down slightly to provide a vertical component of tension to keep the mass [itex]m[/itex] in a horizontal circle. Let [itex]\theta[/itex] be the angle that the string makes to the vertical.

Then [itex]T \sin{\theta} = mg[/itex] and [itex]T \cos{\theta} = \dfrac {mv^2} r[/itex]

So [itex]T = \sqrt{(mg)^2 + \left(\dfrac {mv^2} r \right)^2 }[/itex]

We are told the radius is constant, which happens if the bottom mass [itex]M[/itex] is in equilibrium, so [itex]T = Mg[/itex].

So [itex]M = m \sqrt{\left(\dfrac{v^2} {r g}\right)^2 + 1}[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
GeneralOJB said:
We are told the radius is constant, which happens if the bottom mass [itex]M[/itex] is in equilibrium,

Mass [itex]M[/itex] only needs to be in vertical equilibrium, right? Isn't it possible that mass [itex]M[/itex] is moving in a horizontal circle?

(I'm actually not sure what would happen, I've never encountered a problem like this.)

If not though, then everything you did seems correct.

Nathanael said:
Mass [itex]M[/itex] only needs to be in vertical equilibrium, right? Isn't it possible that mass [itex]M[/itex] is moving in a horizontal circle?

(I'm actually not sure what would happen, I've never encountered a problem like this.)

If not though, then everything you did seems correct.

Yes, only in vertical equilibrium. Maybe [itex]M[/itex] could be moving in a horizontal circle, though we aren't told that it is.

I just brought that possibility up because I assumed your answer was wrong (since you posted this question) but I suppose you could have posted this to get confirmation on your answer (if you don't have a solutions manual).

The problem is tricky to me because of this part:
GeneralOJB said:
The tube is moved so that the mass [itex]m[/itex] travels in a horizontal circle of radius [itex]r[/itex] at constant speed [itex]v[/itex]
To me, that seems to imply there is an outside force (I imagine someone's hand) moving the tube in small circles. How this effects the tension is a little mysterious to me. (Is the outside force causing the centripetal force, or does the tension cause it? How does this outside force create more tension?)

But from all the information given (and the diagram in which mass [itex]M[/itex] is straight down) I would say that your answer is likely correct.

What's interesting is the "correct" answer is [itex]\dfrac{mv^2}{rg}[/itex], according to the exam board AQA.

If you igmore air resistance, there is no need to move the tube in small circles to keep the motion going. Of course there must be some forces acting on the tube to keep it in place but they are not relevant to the question.

I think you can assume the mass M is not rotating from the way the diagram is drawn. If it was rotating, there is no reason why it has to rotate at the same angular velocity as mass m, and there are too many unknowns to get a unique solution.

GeneralOJB said:
What's interesting is the "correct" answer is [itex]\dfrac{mv^2}{rg}[/itex], according to the exam board AQA.

I'm thinking they made a mistake... Because that's the answer you would get if you neglected to consider that the string would be slanted down a bit.
Edit:
AlephZero said:
If you igmore air resistance, there is no need to move the tube in small circles to keep the motion going. Of course there must be some forces acting on the tube to keep it in place but they are not relevant to the question.
Good point

Nathanael said:
I'm thinking they made a mistake... Because that's the answer you would get if you neglected to consider that the string would be slanted down a bit.

Indeed. If it is a mistake, then it's shocking that it made its way to an A level exam.

Source: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA4-1-QP-JUN12.PDF (question 6)

GeneralOJB said:

They assumed that ##\theta = 0##, which is how the diagram is drawn.

In real life engineering situations with rotating machines, the centripetal accelerations are often hundreds or thousands of times bigger than g, so that would be a good approximation. But IMO your solution is "better" than the one given by AQA, and if this was in a real exam I hope you would have got full marks for it!

Edit: I didn't know it was a multiple choice question when I wrote that. Still, you should be able to see which answer to pick.

Actually, you can find the right answer just by looking at the dimensions of the four choices, without doing any algebra at all. Only one of them has the dimension of "mass".

Last edited:
AlephZero said:
They assumed that ##\theta = 0##, which is how the diagram is drawn.

In real life engineering situations with rotating machines, the centripetal accelerations are often hundreds or thousands of times bigger than g, so that would be a good approximation. But IMO your solution is "better" than the one given by AQA, and if this was in a real exam I hope you would have got full marks for it!

Edit: I didn't know it was a multiple choice question when I wrote that. Still, you should be able to see which answer to pick.

Actually, you can find the right answer just by looking at the dimensions of the four choices, without doing any algebra at all. Only one of them has the dimension of "mass".

Yes, I would have picked that in the exam, but the question is still wrong. It can't be exactly horizontal if there is no vertical force to balance gravity.

AlephZero
Same here, they could have at least put 2 "mass" alternatives.

GeneralOJB
I agree with you.

What is circular motion?

Circular motion is when an object moves along a circular path at a constant speed.

What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of a circle, keeping an object in circular motion.

What is the difference between tangential speed and angular speed?

Tangential speed is the linear speed of an object moving along a curved path, while angular speed is the rate at which an object rotates around a fixed point.

How do you calculate the centripetal force?

The centripetal force can be calculated using the formula F = m*v^2/r, where m is the mass of the object, v is the tangential speed, and r is the radius of the circular path.

What is the relationship between centripetal force and centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal force and centripetal acceleration are directly proportional to each other. As the force increases, the acceleration also increases, and vice versa.