• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Circular motion problem

Homework Statement

object of mass 0.20 kg tied to a string is made to move in a vertical circle. When the object is at the highest point, the tension in the string is zero. Determine the tension in the string when the object is at the lowest point. [11.8 N]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried it and could not arrive at the state answer in bracket. at highest point, weight + tension gives the centripetal force. since tension is said to be zero, at the hioghest point, weight = centripetal force.

then at lowest point, tension - weight gives centripetal. tension is the sum of centripetal and weight = 2 x weight since centripetal was calculated to be equal to weight. but this is not the answer given.
am i missing something?

Answers and Replies

Suraj M
Gold Member
Your right about the first part. But the centripetal force acting on the body is not a constant.

At the highest position
T=0
mg = v²/r
v =√gr
this velocity is not the same velocity which it has at the lowest position
To calculate that use the law of conservation of energy :
½mv²highest position = ½mv²lowest position + mg(2r)
and then find your tension.

Last edited:
DEvens
Education Advisor
Gold Member
<snips>
T = 11.8 N
okay? :oldsmile:
You did pretty much the entire problem. You did it well but you did too much. Let the OP do his own homework and just give hints.

I know there is an urge to leap out and solve the problem. I have the same urge. But once you solve it, don't post the entire thing. If you do the entire thing for them they won't get the benefit of the homework.

Suraj M
Gold Member
You did pretty much the entire problem. You did it well but you did too much. Let the OP do his own homework and just give hints.

I know there is an urge to leap out and solve the problem. I have the same urge. But once you solve it, don't post the entire thing. If you do the entire thing for them they won't get the benefit of the homework.
ok DEvens .. i realised that and edited it ..and sorry.