Finding Velocity for the Sweep-Second Hand of a Clock

In summary, the sweep-second hand of a clock is 3.1 cm long, the average velocity and acceleration of the hand's tip over a 5.0-s interval is 90 degrees, and the angel between the average velocity and acceleration vectors is 90 degrees.
Technicolour

Homework Statement

The sweep-second hand of a clock is 3.1 cm long.
What are the magnitude of (a) the average
velocity and (b) the average acceleration of the
hand’s tip over a 5.0-s interval? (c)what is the angel between the average velocity and acceleration vectors?

Homework Equations

a= v2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I have been working on this problem for about an hour and its starting to annoy me I can't seem to find the velocity vector since I am not given a time frame besides the one for the acceleration. I know that I can find acceleration as soon as I find velocity but I don't have any formulas or any thought on how to go about solving for average velocity. I also know that the answer for part c is 90 degrees since they are always perpendicular so really its just part a that is giving me so much trouble.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here are a couple of hints: (1) The time frame for the velocity and the acceleration is the same: 5 sec. (2) Find the distance that the tip of the second hand travels in 5 sec. You can do this by knowing that it travels 360 degrees, or 2 Pi radians in 60 seconds. From that tells you can figure out the angle it travels in 5 sec. Then use Distance = radius times angle (in radians). That allows you to calculate the velocity and so on.

AEM said:
Here are a couple of hints: (1) The time frame for the velocity and the acceleration is the same: 5 sec. (2) Find the distance that the tip of the second hand travels in 5 sec. You can do this by knowing that it travels 360 degrees, or 2 Pi radians in 60 seconds. From that tells you can figure out the angle it travels in 5 sec. Then use Distance = radius times angle (in radians). That allows you to calculate the velocity and so on.

This was extremely helpful I forgot that you could find it in this way thank you so much.

1. What is circular motion velocity?

Circular motion velocity is the speed at which an object moves around a central point in a circular path. It is a measure of how fast an object is changing its position in a circular motion.

2. How is circular motion velocity calculated?

Circular motion velocity can be calculated by dividing the circumference of the circle by the time taken to complete one full rotation. It can also be calculated by multiplying the radius of the circle by the angular velocity, which is the rate of change of the angle of rotation.

3. Does circular motion velocity depend on the mass of the object?

No, circular motion velocity is not affected by the mass of the object. It only depends on the radius of the circle and the angular velocity of the object.

4. What is the difference between circular motion velocity and linear velocity?

Circular motion velocity refers to the speed of an object moving in a circular path, while linear velocity refers to the speed of an object moving in a straight line. The direction of motion is constantly changing in circular motion, whereas it remains the same in linear motion.

5. How does changing the radius affect circular motion velocity?

Increasing the radius of the circle will result in a higher circular motion velocity, as the object has to cover a larger distance in the same amount of time. Conversely, decreasing the radius will result in a lower circular motion velocity.