1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular motion velocity

1. Sep 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The sweep-second hand of a clock is 3.1 cm long.
    What are the magnitude of (a) the average
    velocity and (b) the average acceleration of the
    hand’s tip over a 5.0-s interval? (c)what is the angel between the average velocity and acceleration vectors?

2. Relevant equations
    a= v2/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok so I have been working on this problem for about an hour and its starting to annoy me I can't seem to find the velocity vector since I am not given a time frame besides the one for the acceleration. I know that I can find acceleration as soon as I find velocity but I don't have any formulas or any thought on how to go about solving for average velocity. I also know that the answer for part c is 90 degrees since they are always perpendicular so really its just part a that is giving me so much trouble.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2010 #2

Here are a couple of hints: (1) The time frame for the velocity and the acceleration is the same: 5 sec. (2) Find the distance that the tip of the second hand travels in 5 sec. You can do this by knowing that it travels 360 degrees, or 2 Pi radians in 60 seconds. From that tells you can figure out the angle it travels in 5 sec. Then use Distance = radius times angle (in radians). That allows you to calculate the velocity and so on.
  4. Sep 15, 2010 #3
    This was extremely helpful I forgot that you could find it in this way thank you so much.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook