Circular Motion - Wall of death Problem

In summary: Fc = mv^2/r...the gforce = mv^2/r., i had the mass and the radius...i solved it for v...i think i should convert the 4 g to the force in Newton that would be the maximum radial (normal to the wall) force (in Newtons)...i don't know how to do that...help?...i think i got where i went wrong in the second oneIn summary, the motorcycle can travel at
blackbird2552

Homework Statement

Total mass = 260 kg
Coefficient of Friction = 1.00
r = 4 m
gmax = 4 g

a) Find the minimum speed to keep the rider on the wall of death.

b) Find the maximum speed inside the wall of death of the motorcycle based on gmax

Homework Equations

[tex]\mu[/tex] x (mv^2/r) = mg
Fc = mv^2/r
Gforce = mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

a)

V = [tex]\sqrt{ g r / \mu}[/tex]

V = 6.26 m/s

b)

Gforce = mv2/r

4 = 0.26g x v2 / 4 m
V = 7.84 m/s

I don't know if it is right...

Physics news on Phys.org
blackbird2552 said:

Homework Statement

Total mass = 260 kg
Coefficient of Friction = 1.00
r = 4 m
gmax = 4 g

a) Find the minimum speed to keep the rider on the wall of death.
Correct.

b) Find the maximum speed inside the wall of death of the motorcycle based on gmaxGforce = mv2/r

4 = 0.26g x v2 / 4 m
V = 7.84 m/s

I don't know if it is right...
I can't follow your reasoning. What is the maximum radial (normal to the wall) force (in Newtons)? What is the relationship between that force and the speed of the motorcycle? What is the motorcycle speed needed to achieve that force?

AM

..what i need to do is find is the maximum speed at which the motorcycle should be going to get the max value of g, that is 4 gs...i don't get how i will calculate it!...what i did is, since Fc = mv^2/r...the gforce = mv^2/r., i had the mass and the radius...i solved it for v...i think i should convert the 4 g to the force in Newton that would be the maximum radial (normal to the wall) force (in Newtons)...i don't know how to do that...help?...

i think i got where i went wrong in the second one

The total force acting when the mass is experiencing 4 gs is

4g = 39.24 m/s2
F = ma
F = 260 kg x 39.24 m/s2 = 10202.4 N

to get the max v

Fc = mv2/r

10202.4 = 260kg x v2 / 4 m
V = underoot 156.96
V = 12.5 m/s

Is this right??...

blackbird2552 said:
i think i got where i went wrong in the second one

The total force acting when the mass is experiencing 4 gs is

4g = 39.24 m/s2
F = ma
F = 260 kg x 39.24 m/s2 = 10202.4 N

to get the max v

Fc = mv2/r

10202.4 = 260kg x v2 / 4 m
V = underoot 156.96
V = 12.5 m/s

Is this right??...
Correct.

AM

1. What is circular motion in the context of the "Wall of death Problem"?

Circular motion refers to the motion of an object moving along a circular path. In the "Wall of death Problem", this refers to the motion of a motorcycle rider along the vertical wall of a circular cylinder.

2. How is centripetal force involved in this problem?

Centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of a circular path. In the "Wall of death Problem", the motorcycle rider experiences centripetal force as they move along the vertical wall, which keeps them on the circular path and prevents them from falling off.

3. What factors affect the centripetal force experienced by the motorcycle rider in this problem?

The centripetal force is affected by the mass of the rider, the speed at which they are moving, and the radius of the circular path they are following. The greater the mass and speed, or the smaller the radius, the greater the centripetal force required to keep the rider on the wall.

4. How does the angle of the wall affect the circular motion of the rider?

The angle of the wall determines the direction of the centripetal force acting on the rider. If the wall is perfectly vertical, the centripetal force will act directly towards the center of the circular path. If the wall is angled, the centripetal force will be slightly tilted towards the center of the cylinder, causing the rider to lean towards the center.

5. What is the relationship between centripetal force and velocity in circular motion?

The centripetal force required to keep an object in circular motion is directly proportional to the square of its velocity. This means that as the velocity increases, the centripetal force required also increases. This is why a motorcycle rider must maintain a certain speed in order to stay on the wall of death without falling off.