Solving a Circular Motion Problem: Is Something Wrong?

In summary, the question asks for the centripetal acceleration of a 24 kg child riding on a fast Ferris wheel that rotates 4.5 times per minute and has a diameter of 19 m. To solve the problem, the rev/min is converted to rad/sec, which is then multiplied by the radius of the Ferris wheel to find the centripetal acceleration. The final answer is 8.44 m/s. There is no indication of the child's position or any other factors, so the calculation appears to be correct.
RoyalewithCh33s3
Hello again, tonite I am working on more homework and I am stuck on a problem involving circular motion. Here's the question:

Q: A 24 kg child takes a ride on a fast Ferris wheel that rotates 4.5 times each minute and has a diameter of 19 m. (a) What is the centripetal acceleration of the child?

Ok so I would start out by turning 4.5 rev/min into rad/sec:

4.5 rev/min x [tex]\frac {1 min}{60 sec}[/tex] x [tex]\frac{2 \pi rad}{1 rev}[/tex] = [tex].3\pi \frac{rad}{sec}[/tex]

Then R = 9.5m

[tex]a_c[/tex]=[tex]\omega^2[/tex]R

[tex]a_c[/tex]=[tex]9.5(.3\pi)^2[/tex]

[tex]a_c[/tex] ended up being 8.44 m/s for me.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
4.5 rev/min = 3pi/20 rad/sec

As a scientist, it is important to carefully analyze and double-check our calculations to ensure accuracy. In this case, your calculations seem to be correct, but it would be helpful to specify the units for the final answer as meters per second squared (m/s^2). Additionally, it may be beneficial to include the formula you used for calculating centripetal acceleration (a_c=\omega^2R) to show your understanding of the concept. It is also good practice to label all units in your calculations to avoid confusion and ensure consistency. Overall, your approach to solving the problem appears to be correct, but it is always a good idea to review and check your work to catch any potential errors. Good job on tackling this circular motion problem!

Related to Solving a Circular Motion Problem: Is Something Wrong?

1. What is the formula for solving a circular motion problem?

The formula for solving a circular motion problem is F = mv²/r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

2. How do I know if I have solved a circular motion problem correctly?

To check if you have solved a circular motion problem correctly, make sure that your answer is in the correct units (usually Newtons for force), and that it makes logical sense based on the given information. Additionally, you can plug your answer back into the original formula to see if it equals the original value.

3. What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is when an object moves at a constant speed around a circular path, while non-uniform circular motion is when an object's speed or direction changes as it moves along a circular path.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a circular motion problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a circular motion problem include forgetting to convert units, using the wrong formula, and not considering all the forces acting on the object (such as friction or gravity).

5. How can I use a free-body diagram to help solve a circular motion problem?

A free-body diagram can help you visualize and understand the forces acting on an object in circular motion. By drawing all the forces (such as centripetal force, friction, and gravity) on the diagram, you can then use these values to plug into the formula for solving a circular motion problem.