Solving Bullet Train Speed Change Problem

In summary, the question is asking for the minimum time it would take for a bullet train to change speeds from 250 to 300 km hr-1 on a curved track with a radius of 5 km, while keeping the total acceleration below 0.2 g. One approach is to use a differential equation to solve for the time, but this may require knowledge of calculus. Another approach may exist, but it is not known.
physics_learn
I need some help with this question:

Two people, who are traveling on a bullet train between Tokyo and Kyoto, are willing to tolerate acceleration magnitudes as large as 0.2 g. The driver wants to change speeds from 250 to 300 km hr-1 on a curved piece of track. If the radius of curvature of the piece of track is 5 km, what is the minimum time the driver can use to change speeds?

For this question I am assuming that the angular acceleration is constant and that at the point where the tangential velocity is maximum (300Km/hr) the acceleration is 0.2g. I know I will get a smaller time if I consider the total acceleration to be the same during the whole trip. Any suggestions on how to solve this problem.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
physics_learn said:
I need some help with this question:

Two people, who are traveling on a bullet train between Tokyo and Kyoto, are willing to tolerate acceleration magnitudes as large as 0.2 g. The driver wants to change speeds from 250 to 300 km hr-1 on a curved piece of track. If the radius of curvature of the piece of track is 5 km, what is the minimum time the driver can use to change speeds?

For this question I am assuming that the angular acceleration is constant and that at the point where the tangential velocity is maximum (300Km/hr) the acceleration is 0.2g. I know I will get a smaller time if I consider the total acceleration to be the same during the whole trip. Any suggestions on how to solve this problem.

Thank you
The first thing to point out is that the angular acceleration is not constant. I would start by writing down an equation the represents the condition given in the question, namely that the total acceleration cannot exceed 0.2g.

If I don't consider the angular acceleration constant, I believe that I end up with a differential equation, which I haven't been taught!
Please let me know if there is another approach I can take to this question

physics_learn said:
If I don't consider the angular acceleration constant, I believe that I end up with a differential equation, which I haven't been taught!
Please let me know if there is another approach I can take to this question
You do indeed end up with an ODE, but it can be fairly easily solved and only really requires basic calculus knowledge. I'm afraid that if there is another way of doing it, I don't know of it.

1. How do you calculate the velocity of a bullet train during a speed change?

The velocity of a bullet train during a speed change can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it takes to travel that distance. This can be represented by the equation v = d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the distance, and t is the time.

2. What factors affect the speed change of a bullet train?

There are several factors that can affect the speed change of a bullet train, including the weight of the train, the force applied to the train, the track conditions, and any external forces such as wind resistance. In addition, the design and efficiency of the train's engine and braking systems can also impact its speed change.

3. How can we optimize the speed change of a bullet train?

To optimize the speed change of a bullet train, engineers can use advanced technologies such as regenerative braking, which converts the train's kinetic energy into electrical energy and stores it for later use. Additionally, implementing smoother and more gradual speed changes can help reduce wear and tear on the train's systems and improve overall efficiency.

4. How does the speed change of a bullet train affect passenger comfort?

The speed change of a bullet train can have a significant impact on passenger comfort. Abrupt changes in speed can cause discomfort and even motion sickness for some passengers. Therefore, it is important for engineers to design the train's speed change patterns to be as smooth and gradual as possible to ensure a comfortable ride for passengers.

5. What challenges do engineers face when solving the bullet train speed change problem?

One of the main challenges engineers face when solving the bullet train speed change problem is balancing the need for speed with the need for safety and efficiency. Additionally, factors such as varying track conditions, weather, and passenger demand can also present challenges in optimizing the speed change of a bullet train. It requires a thorough understanding of engineering principles and advanced technologies to overcome these challenges and find the most effective solution.