Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Motion

1. Aug 11, 2005 #1
    I am sure i am missing somthing here so if somone could point out the mistake in my reasoning it would be appreciated.
    If say you are travelling in a car around a roundabout you must contine to put more power into the engine to remain at a constant speed e.g. 20 mph.
    When you reach the maximum amount of power that your car has then you will not be able to retain this constant speed and begin decelarating.
    I cant see how this is logical since you would continue to decelarate untill you reached very low speeds say 1 mph yet will still be applying the full force the car has to offer to continue in a circular motion and may even reach 0 mph which i know is impossible.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2005 #2

Science Advisor

With all things being equal (radius of curvature, no skidding, yada yada yada), you will reach an equilibrium between power input and the speed you are at. As long as you are putting out the same amount of power, your speed should remain at some point. You will not constantly decelerate like you are thinking.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?