Clamping Circuits: Get 8V Output from 2V Input

• Thread starter nikhilesh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, the conversation discusses using a negative clamper with a capacitor and diode to clamp a sinusoidal wave and produce an output of 0 to 4V. The question is how to make the output signal 8V using the same components. The suggestion is to use a voltage doubler, which requires a capacitor and diode, and sources are provided for further information. The desired output is 4 times the input, which the clamper currently increases from 0 to V.
nikhilesh
I have a negative clamper with a simple capacitor and a single diode. This circuit clamps the Sinusoidal wave (2V- peak to peak) to the negative peaks and makes the output (0 to 4V) ..
My question is how do i make the output signal 8V using the same input and more or less the same circuit.. my teacher says its possible.. I can't get how..
Help Me! :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Mayb a voltage doubler? A simple one requires a capacitor and diode which is more or less the components you have available.
http://www.play-hookey.com/ac_theory/ps_v_multipliers.html
http://www.kettering.edu/~bguru/DIODE/Diode-10.pdf (PDF file)

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont' know.. seems okay. will ask the teacher. i need an output 4 times the input. clamper increases the average value of a sinusoidal input from 0 to V.. i need it raise to 2V

1. What is a clamping circuit?

A clamping circuit, also known as a voltage clamp, is an electronic circuit that limits the voltage of a signal to a specific range, allowing for a desired output voltage even when the input voltage changes.

2. How does a clamping circuit work?

A clamping circuit consists of a diode, a capacitor, and a resistor. When the input voltage is lower than the desired output voltage, the diode is forward-biased and allows current to flow through the capacitor, charging it to the input voltage. When the input voltage is higher than the desired output voltage, the diode is reverse-biased and the capacitor discharges through the resistor, limiting the output voltage to the desired level.

3. What is the purpose of a clamping circuit?

The main purpose of a clamping circuit is to stabilize the output voltage of a signal, keeping it within a specific range. This is useful in electronic circuits where a stable voltage is necessary for proper functioning of components.

4. Can a clamping circuit be used to increase voltage?

No, a clamping circuit is designed to limit the voltage of a signal, not increase it. However, it can be used in conjunction with other circuits to achieve a higher output voltage.

5. How do you get 8V output from a 2V input using a clamping circuit?

This can be achieved by using a clamping circuit with a desired output voltage of 8V and an input voltage of 2V. The clamping circuit will limit the output voltage to 8V, even if the input voltage changes, maintaining a stable output voltage of 8V.