Clarification on some Variables

• Thread starter jonesto95
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variables
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of acceleration of engine RPM and the variables involved in calculating it. The first post on a previous thread is referenced, which leads to the question of what the variable "I" represents and how to calculate it. It is determined to be the mass moment of inertia of the crankshaft assembly, which can be calculated by drawing a diagram or conducting an experiment on the assembled engine. The variable "alpha" is also mentioned, which represents the angular acceleration of the crankshaft assembly in radians per second. The article "How to Find the Mass Moments of Inertia of Different Crankshafts" is suggested as a resource for further information.
jonesto95
I'm looking back at a previous thread here, in hopes of an answer regarding acceleration of engine RPM, and I have found something that might have answered it, the first post on this page:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/accelerator-pedal-and-rpm.760572/page-4

(I suggest you don't go exploring this thread, it seems to go in circles.)

However, I'm a little hazy on some variables and what they represent.

First off, I understand that the variable I is a mass moment of inertia, but what of, exactly? The crankshaft? How would I go about calculating this? If I remember right from my physics class, shape is a factor in doing this: could I just assume the crankshaft is a solid cylinder (even though it's a bit more complex than one) and get a close approximation?

And secondly, the variable alpha. Does that represent the acceleration of engine RPM itself, which can be directly seen on the tachometer; or is it of another component that is connected to the engine, which needs some math to find the actual RPM acceleration?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is the mass moment of inertia of the "crankshaft assembly"
You can work out what that is in the usual way - draw a diagram, identify the elements, apply the definition.
You can also measure it by conducting an experiment on the assembled engine.

You can use simplified models but it is impossible to tell how close an approximation this will be without looking at your crankshaft ... they are not normally very close to a cylinder. You can usually just look up the moments of inertia for all the components and add them up.

The term alpha is the angular acceleration of the crankshaft assembly ... the equation calls for radians per second rather than rpm though.

Have you seen:
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/ctrp-0803-inertia/
... there seems to be quite a lot of lit on how to find the mass moments of inertia of different crankshafts.

1. What is the purpose of conducting a clarification on some variables?

The purpose of conducting a clarification on some variables is to ensure that the data being studied is accurate and reliable. By clarifying variables, scientists can eliminate any potential confounding factors and better understand the relationship between the variables being studied.

2. How do scientists determine which variables need clarification?

Scientists determine which variables need clarification through careful planning and design of their study. They also rely on previous research and their own knowledge of the subject to identify potential confounding variables.

3. What methods are used to clarify variables?

There are several methods that scientists use to clarify variables, including control groups, randomization, blinding, and statistical techniques such as regression analysis. These methods help to isolate the effects of the variables being studied.

4. Can clarification of variables affect the results of a study?

Yes, clarification of variables can greatly affect the results of a study. By eliminating potential confounding factors, scientists can obtain more accurate and reliable results that are not influenced by external variables.

5. How important is clarification of variables in the scientific process?

Clarification of variables is a crucial step in the scientific process. Without it, the results of a study may be inaccurate or misleading. By clarifying variables, scientists can ensure that their research is valid and contributes to the overall understanding of a topic.