Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clarification on the output of partial derivatives

1. Apr 17, 2012 #1
    1. In the Khan academy video I watched on partial derivatives, I understand absolutely everything except for the last 20 seconds which confused me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CMDS4-PKKQ

Using the formula:

Z = x² + xy + y²

@z/@x = 2x +y

x=0.2, y=0.3

2(.2) + .3 = .7

What I know this means: At an x value of 0.2 and a y constant of 0.3, the slope of the tangent line will be 0.7.

At the end of the Khan video though, he stated:

"So everytime X increases, 1, Z will increase by 0.7"

Did I miss something or is this a mistake? What is in the video is a curve that is constantly changing so the slope will always be different. The only way to say that every increase in X will result in 0.7 is if we are dealing with a planar surface correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2012 #2
    Yes, your interpretation is correct. He misspoke and should have said z increases approximately 0.7 units from its value at (0.2, 0.3) if x increases from 0.2 to 1.2 using a linear approximation from that point. The linear approximation deviates from the curve; the only way to get the actual increase is to evaluate the nonlinear function z at each point.

4. Apr 18, 2012 #3
    Thanks. I was frustrated thinking that I didn't understand some crucial general concept but now am good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook