Clarification on the output of partial derivatives

In summary, the speaker watched a Khan Academy video on partial derivatives and understood everything except for the last 20 seconds. The speaker questioned the statement made at the end of the video about the increase in z for every increase in x, as it seemed to contradict the concept of a constantly changing curve. However, it was clarified that the speaker's interpretation was correct and the statement was a misspeak. The actual increase in z can only be determined by evaluating the nonlinear function at each point.
Dorslek
1. In the Khan academy video I watched on partial derivatives, I understand absolutely everything except for the last 20 seconds which confused me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CMDS4-PKKQ

Using the formula:

Z = x² + xy + y²

@z/@x = 2x +y

x=0.2, y=0.3

2(.2) + .3 = .7

What I know this means: At an x value of 0.2 and a y constant of 0.3, the slope of the tangent line will be 0.7.

At the end of the Khan video though, he stated:

"So everytime X increases, 1, Z will increase by 0.7"

Did I miss something or is this a mistake? What is in the video is a curve that is constantly changing so the slope will always be different. The only way to say that every increase in X will result in 0.7 is if we are dealing with a planar surface correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your interpretation is correct. He misspoke and should have said z increases approximately 0.7 units from its value at (0.2, 0.3) if x increases from 0.2 to 1.2 using a linear approximation from that point. The linear approximation deviates from the curve; the only way to get the actual increase is to evaluate the nonlinear function z at each point.

Thanks. I was frustrated thinking that I didn't understand some crucial general concept but now am good.

FAQ: Clarification on the output of partial derivatives

1. What is the purpose of calculating partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are used to measure the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant. They are commonly used in mathematical models to understand how a system will react to changes in certain variables.

2. How is the output of a partial derivative interpreted?

The output of a partial derivative represents the slope of the tangent line to the function at a specific point. This can be thought of as the instantaneous rate of change of the function at that point.

3. Can partial derivatives be negative?

Yes, partial derivatives can be positive, negative, or zero. A positive partial derivative indicates that the function is increasing in that direction, while a negative partial derivative indicates that the function is decreasing in that direction. A zero partial derivative indicates that the function has a constant value in that direction.

4. How are partial derivatives calculated?

To calculate a partial derivative, you take the derivative of the function with respect to the variable of interest while treating all other variables as constants. This can be done using standard calculus rules, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule.

5. What is the difference between a partial derivative and a total derivative?

A partial derivative measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable while holding all other variables constant. A total derivative, on the other hand, measures the total rate of change of a function with respect to all of its variables. In other words, a total derivative takes into account the effects of changes in all variables, while a partial derivative only considers the effect of one variable.