Classical and Quantum Statistics

In summary: Ok, so the density of states is 1. So for each energy state there is a particle with a spin of +1/2 or -1/2.Is that right?Yes, that's correct.
atarr3

Homework Statement

Consider an atom with a magnetic moment [tex]\mu[/tex] and a total spin of ½. The atom is placed in a uniform magnetic field B at temperature T. (a) Assuming Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics are valid at this temperature, find the ratio of atoms with spins aligned with the field to those aligned opposite the field.

Homework Equations

[tex]n\left(E\right)=g\left(E\right)F[/tex] and the corresponding equation for F depending on Maxwell-Boltzmann, Fermi-Dirac, or Bose-Einstein

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a little trouble figuring out which distribution function to use. I want to say that it's Fermi-Dirac because of the half-integer spin, but the question states that Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics are valid, which throws me off. And I'm still a little confused about the density of states. And where the magnetic field factors into my equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
As the question states, you can use classical Boltzmann statistics. What you need is an expression for the chemical potential. Treat up spins and down spins as two species of "particle". In an external B field, these species have different energies, and so there will be a chemical potential for one of them to change into the other. Once you figure that out, you just need the Boltzmann factor.

So are you saying we have 2 possible states, making the density of states two (either up spin or down spin)?

I'm not sure what you mean by chemical potential, but I'm assuming you're talking about the potential due to intrinsic spin, so [tex]V=-\vec{\mu_{s}}\bullet\vec{B}[/tex], which would make the potential either [tex]\pm\mu_{B}B[/tex]. And that would make the energy in the distribution function [tex]E_{0}+V[/tex]. Is that right?

Ok so my equation for the ratio is [tex]\frac{n\left(E_{2}\right)}{n\left(E_{1}\right)}=\frac{g\left(E_{2}\right)}{g\left(E_{1}\right)}e^{\beta\left(E_{1}-E_{2}\right)}[/tex] with [tex]E_{1}-E_{2}=2\mu_{B}B[/tex]. I still don't know how to find the density of states. I want to say for each one it is two because the energies depend on the direction of the spin, so for each energy state it is either an +1/2 or -1/2 spin.

That's good so far. In this particular problem, does g(E) actually depend on energy?

Well the energy for each state depends on the direction of the spin, +1/2 or -1/2, so I feel like there is only one orientation for each state. At the very least, the density of states for each one should be equal. I think?

What is the difference between classical and quantum statistics?

Classical statistics deals with the study of systems that consist of large numbers of particles and follows the principles of classical mechanics. Quantum statistics, on the other hand, deals with the study of systems that consist of a few particles and follows the principles of quantum mechanics.

What are the main principles of classical statistics?

The main principles of classical statistics include the law of large numbers, which states that as the number of observations increases, the average of the observed values will approach the true expected value, and the central limit theorem, which states that the distribution of sample means from a large sample will be approximately normal.

What are the main principles of quantum statistics?

The main principles of quantum statistics include the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two identical fermions can occupy the same quantum state, and the Bose-Einstein statistics, which applies to bosons and describes how they behave at the quantum level.

What are some real-world applications of classical statistics?

Classical statistics is used in a variety of fields such as economics, psychology, and social sciences to analyze and interpret data. It is also used in quality control and market research to make decisions based on data analysis.

What are some real-world applications of quantum statistics?

Quantum statistics is used in fields such as quantum chemistry, condensed matter physics, and materials science to understand and predict the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It is also used in the development of quantum technologies such as quantum computers and quantum cryptography.