Classical gas with general dispersion relation

In summary, the problem and its solution discussed in the provided link involve the partition function and the use of the volume of a sphere in d-dimensions to simplify the integral. The term (2*pi)^d is a normalization factor, and the volume (V) should be V^d for a particle of d dimensions. It is used to count states in k-space, and the periodic boundary conditions lead to the number of states being V*Delta^3*k/(2*pi)^3. The concept of phase space in d-dimensions is also discussed.
victor94
i'm trying to understand the solution to this problem:

http://physweb.bgu.ac.il/COURSES/StatMechCohen/ExercisesPool/EXERCISES/ex_2065_sol_Y13.pdf
(link to the problem and the solution of it)

upload_2017-4-16_13-6-46.png

All my questions come from the partition function:

upload_2017-4-16_13-7-3.png

1) From where the term (2*pi)^d comes from?, I think is like a normalization factor, but I'm not sure.

2) The Volume (V) should be V^d, because is the volume of a particle of d dimension, but in the solution is just "V" , I don't understand why.3) The solid angle is used to simplify the integral and it comes from the volume of a sphere of d-dimensionm. I don't understand how to use that volume of the sphere to this specific problem.

4) Where is this problem used, or is it just a theoretical problem?

5) The last question is a conceptual one, how the phase space looks in a d-dimension, I don't understand this concept.

Any help in this questions will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-16_13-5-57.png
    upload_2017-4-16_13-5-57.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The way I learned it, (the Statistical Physics book by F. Reif), ## e^{ik_x x}=e^{i k_x(x+L_x)} ## for periodic boundary conditions. This means in counting states in k-space in 3 dimensions, you get the number of states ## \Delta N = \Delta^3 n=V \Delta^3 k/(2 \pi)^3 ##. (## k_x L_x=n_x 2 \pi ##, ## k_y L_y=n_y 2 \pi ##, etc. from the periodicity requirement). Since ## p=\hbar k ##, this will also put ah ## \hbar^3 ## in the denominator of the ## Z ## function which counts the states and multiplies by the Boltzmann factor ## e^{-E/(kT)} ##.

Last edited:

1. What is classical gas with general dispersion relation?

Classical gas with general dispersion relation refers to a type of gas that is composed of particles with a wide range of velocities and follows a dispersion relation, which describes the relationship between its frequency and wavelength.

2. How is classical gas with general dispersion relation different from ideal gas?

Unlike ideal gas, which follows the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, classical gas with general dispersion relation takes into account the velocities of particles and their interactions with each other, leading to a more realistic description of the gas's behavior.

3. What is the significance of studying classical gas with general dispersion relation?

Studying classical gas with general dispersion relation can provide insights into the behavior of real gases, as it takes into account factors such as intermolecular forces and particle velocities. It is also important in fields such as thermodynamics and statistical mechanics.

4. How is the dispersion relation derived for classical gas?

The dispersion relation for classical gas is derived by considering the kinetic energy of the particles and their interactions. By solving the equations of motion, the dispersion relation can be obtained, which relates the frequency and wavelength of the gas's waves.

5. What are some applications of classical gas with general dispersion relation?

Classical gas with general dispersion relation has applications in various fields, including plasma physics, astrophysics, and fluid dynamics. It is also used to study phenomena such as sound waves and heat transfer in gases.